Mercury 75hp vs Suzuki 70hp fourstroke

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Mercury 75hp vs Suzuki 70hp fourstroke

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:29 am

I have a Suzuki on the back of mine and absolutely love it.

Legend Simmo

Post by Legend Simmo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:06 am

There's a few merc dealers around home and the main places we go on holidays like Merimbula and Yarrawonga, so that might be the final factor. Sounds like most motors are relatively close together. Someone told me that suzuki offset driveshaft means you could spin a bigger prop than normal but not sure how that would help if there isnt as much grunt to turn it.

Boat is rated to 75hp and I'd like to try and get as close as I can to it. Definitely heard the theres no replacement for displacement argument, especially for watersports

Have been leaning towards the 75hp merc but just seeing if there were any other good experiences around

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Legend Simmo wrote:There's a few merc dealers around home and the main places we go on holidays like Merimbula and Yarrawonga, so that might be the final factor. Sounds like most motors are relatively close together. Someone told me that suzuki offset driveshaft means you could spin a bigger prop than normal but not sure how that would help if there isnt as much grunt to turn it.

Boat is rated to 75hp and I'd like to try and get as close as I can to it. Definitely heard the theres no replacement for displacement argument, especially for watersports

Have been leaning towards the 75hp merc but just seeing if there were any other good experiences around
Dunno about the prop thing. My local dealer told me to avoid a stainless prop on my 70 as it could void the warranty. No idea why, couldn't understand his technical mumbo jumbo

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Add Tohatsu and Etec G2 to your list as well.

IMO there are no bad new motors it is all about the best boat motor combination ie hp to weight and good local dealer/service center.

For your application I would be looking at a 90Hp motor.
Exactly this. My local dealer is a suzuki dealership if it were Yamaha I would have probably taken one of them.

But I have pretty much the same boat as the OP but the savage brand, 70 is more than enough!
If your planning watersports, go max hp.....should be able to squeeze a 90-115hp weight wise...what's the recommended max hp on the plate?
Ah yeah I didnt factor in the required power of water sports

Yeah you would probably want a bit bigger than 70 although it would still tow a full boat and a biscuit or whatever pretry easy

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Legend Simmo wrote:There's a few merc dealers around home and the main places we go on holidays like Merimbula and Yarrawonga, so that might be the final factor. Sounds like most motors are relatively close together. Someone told me that suzuki offset driveshaft means you could spin a bigger prop than normal but not sure how that would help if there isnt as much grunt to turn it.

The suzuki offset shaft puts the weight further forward and helps offset the extra weight of a 4 stroke compared with a 2 stroke. The prop is matched to the gearbox ratio. The rest is sales bull.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 pm

As I was saying, all are great engines,
with Your desire for a bit of water sports, nothing will compare for power in the 75 range than the 2.1 ltr Merc.
Also remember the new Valve train in these Merc's make it easy to self service once out of Warrantee.
2.1 ltr vrs all the others at 1.5 ltr, new technology, no comparison.

For me it's been an interesting exercise looking at new 4 stroke options, up to 150 hp. The 150's in 4 stroke are actually heavier than what was actually rated, because back in the day, 4 strokes weren't the norm. Honda, in my range, eliminates itself by share weight alone, Yamaha, with the new 130, is actually just an old designed engine, tricked up, 1.8 ltr from memory, Suzuki, 140, a 2 ltr, 115 tricked up. Merc 115 2.1 ltr, the lightest of the lot.
I've eliminated the Yamaha, as it's only a 1.8 ltr, slightly heavier than the Merc 115, but on all accounts would be a great engine.
The Suzuki 140 has a great reputation for reliability, near 20 kg heavier than the Merc 115, same cubes, and you can swing a bigger prop with command thrust gear box on the Merc.
There's so many options now with the out boards available, and it's a case of working out what performance factors you need out of your new outboard, with respect to your hull and load etc...
I'm not loyal to any brands at all, it comes down to performance, weight and cost, ( including service costs), I'll probably end up with the Suk 140, but it's nice to have options,
So consider everything Simmo, there's lots to choose from, but consider all the factors.......good luck

Col

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:01 pm

hey simmo how many hours on your merc 60? and roughly how much is a new 75 merc looking like setting you back?

I have the same boat as you, but with a 75 2stk merc 450hrs, im happy with the performance.

Legend Simmo

Post by Legend Simmo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:44 pm

About 800 hours on the 60 merc. We've only had the boat about a year but the motors good years are behind it, been knocked around a bit. We bought the boat knowing that it'll go after a while and now is the time for an upgrade.

From a few phone calls a new 75hp 4stroke merc is about $12k fitted, including rigging and stainless prop

I think the performance will be a day and night change. On our current motor it only has a small gearbox so can only turn a 12" prop right now. That'll go up to a 17" ish prop along with a few more ponies on the back

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 pm

75hp Mercury hands down...Its bigger cubes... The other motors been smaller capacity, will be working harder to use the power.

The 75 is a lazy motor (same motor as the 115hp just de tuned). They have oodles of grunt low-mid range. Just make sure you prop it correctly.

One of the best motor range out there

Return to “Boating”