How do you store your rods in your boat?

Bugatti

Re: How do you store your rods in your boat?

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Trumpeter wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm
I've always liked coaming racks for rod storage and with my new boat I couldn't decide whether to go 6 or 8 down one side or 3 or 4 either side. I figured it would be better to go the latter so I'd have more side access and ordered in a pair of el-cheapo Ocean South's. When I went into the store to collect them I found these H/duty models instead. The tubes are 44mm so no probs with thicker rod butts and net handles and are welded to 6mm bar instead of folded sheet like the imported ones, built to last :thumbsup:

They look pretty solid there Trumpeter AND with flared tops, which saves on rod-butt scrapes.

I would have put bought ones but they are spaced a bit wide apart for my 15 footer, so I made some with PVC tubes and put them on the kick panel - side compartment partition.

boat 3.jpg
boat 3.jpg (22.56 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

I also have Frankensteined some old unused rod holders that were for putting in the rocket launchers , , , , and made a storage rack (only when on anchor to clear the deck) and bracketed it up with the aerial.

boat 2.jpg
boat 2.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

Cheers, Bugatti

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Fri May 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Nice setup Bugatti, I like that pvc & timber rack :thumbsup:

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 pm

I have a similar setup to Bugatti.

This is a picture of my boat from before i added the rod holders, i dont think i have any that show the current set up.

Using cable ties i have attached 4 Jarvis Walker Vertical Rod Racks ($5 at Kmart) to the rail next to the side windscreen on each side. So 12 rod holders in total). For about $30 in total they do a great job.

EDIT: I changed the photo, hopefully it works now.
Last edited by SteveoTheTiger on Mon May 06, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 pm
I have a similar setup to Bugatti.

This is a picture of my boat from before i bought it...

Using cable ties i have attached 4 Jarvis Walker Vertical Rod Racks ($5 at Kmart) to the rail next to the side windscreen on each side. So 12 rod holders in total). Fo rabout $30 in total they do a great job.

Way to go Tiger :thumbsup:

It is a great way to store rods in a modest sized boat without impeding the deck area. And a cost effective solution too :)

A mate has a similar size boat but has the Bimini Bar type, and they are angled over the deck area , , , , every second cast you end up hitting the rods, grrrrr

Steve, the photo doesn't seem to have come through my end, and I'd like to have a look at your set-up.

Cheers, Bug

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm

It is a great way to store rods in a modest sized boat without impeding the deck area. And a cost effective solution too :)

A mate has a similar size boat but has the Bimini Bar type, and they are angled over the deck area , , , , every second cast you end up hitting the rods, grrrrr

Steve, the photo doesn't seem to have come through my end, and I'd like to have a look at your set-up.

Cheers, Bug
I have changed the photo so hopefully it works now. It was taken before i added the rod holders, but you can see where i have mounted them next to the windshield. Ill try to take an up to date photo in case anyone wants to copy it. Pretty straight forward though.

I was originally going to get a canopy mounted rocket launcher rack, but decided against it as i almost always fold the canopy forward unless its raining. The cable tied plastic rod holders were to be a temporary solution until i got the rocket launcher rack but they worked out so good that i have stuck with them. They have been on for over a year now and i havent even had to tighten the cable ties.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 06, 2019 6:34 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Cheers, Bug
I have changed the photo so hopefully it works now. It was taken before i added the rod holders, but you can see where i have mounted them next to the windshield. Ill try to take an up to date photo in case anyone wants to copy it. Pretty straight forward though.

I was originally going to get a canopy mounted rocket launcher rack, but decided against it as i almost always fold the canopy forward unless its raining. The cable tied plastic rod holders were to be a temporary solution until i got the rocket launcher rack but they worked out so good that i have stuck with them. They have been on for over a year now and i havent even had to tighten the cable ties.

Nice, I see what you mean now.

Just a point. Cable Ties are great, I always have them in the boat (the trip anchor uses them) and always make temporary repairs and even permanent solutions too , , , , I'd just change the old ones with new ones every now and then , , , , saves on one getting brittle and letting go , , , , of your mate's rod, always happens that way , , , , followed by "the look" that they give you :(

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 pm
Trumpeter wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm
I've always liked coaming racks for rod storage and with my new boat I couldn't decide whether to go 6 or 8 down one side or 3 or 4 either side. I figured it would be better to go the latter so I'd have more side access and ordered in a pair of el-cheapo Ocean South's. When I went into the store to collect them I found these H/duty models instead. The tubes are 44mm so no probs with thicker rod butts and net handles and are welded to 6mm bar instead of folded sheet like the imported ones, built to last :thumbsup:

They look pretty solid there Trumpeter AND with flared tops, which saves on rod-butt scrapes.

I would have put bought ones but they are spaced a bit wide apart for my 15 footer, so I made some with PVC tubes and put them on the kick panel - side compartment partition.

boat 3.jpg

I also have Frankensteined some old unused rod holders that were for putting in the rocket launchers , , , , and made a storage rack (only when on anchor to clear the deck) and bracketed it up with the aerial.

boat 2.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti
I like the ss ones

Return to “Boating”