How do you store your rods in your boat?

denis barden

Re: How do you store your rods in your boat?

Post by denis barden » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:35 am

During road travel to and from Ramp i use 6 angled SS holders
When on water I use SS vertical holders

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 am

Anyone else end up with tangled rods when they are sitting on the rocket launcher or is it just me?-Mattblack
If you use a loop for the sinkers its very easy to take sinkers off for transport on water or Road -Never get Travel tangled anymore

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:00 pm

sturgeon wrote:
Nude up wrote:If using the local ramp 2.1 k from home I just lean the rods against the transom inside the boat. If going further I lay the rods down inside the cabin on the cushions. At home I have a long wooden rod holder which stores them vertically. My rocket launcher only holds 6 rods so I have 2 more rod holders fitted either side of the rocket launcher making a total of 10 rods I can carry. Because you never know which rod you will need.
What kind of rod holders do you fit on either side of the rocket launcher?
Smile0784 has the ones I bought I got one pair from mquarries and one pair of ebay my rocket launchers are 32 mm diameter not the usual 25 mm if you buy some you must get 316 stainless not 314 or they will go dull.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:05 pm

denis barden wrote:Anyone else end up with tangled rods when they are sitting on the rocket launcher or is it just me?-Mattblack
If you use a loop for the sinkers its very easy to take sinkers off for transport on water or Road -Never get Travel tangled anymore
Me too Dennis never leave the sinker attached it leads to tangles and damage to your rod. I use the red or blue running sinker clips and have found if you take the sinker off and don’t clip the little hook thing together it will work its way out of the plastic it and disappear overboard

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 pm

More info
Have added a screw at forward of holder
These a ganged set of 3 from Ebay about $40

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I like the setup mate. Nice :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 pm

denis barden wrote:More info
Have added a screw at forward of holder
These a ganged set of 3 from Ebay about $40
Nice

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:54 pm

denis barden wrote:Anyone else end up with tangled rods when they are sitting on the rocket launcher or is it just me?-Mattblack
I always use these loops as well.
Have for as long as I can remember. great way to change sinker sizes and taking them off and putting a new one on :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 03, 2019 5:51 pm

denis barden wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 am
Anyone else end up with tangled rods when they are sitting on the rocket launcher or is it just me?-Mattblack
db.jpg
I use the loop method too Denis, great way to easily change the sinker

But you are right, the sinker loves tangling itself with the other sinkers and rods.

What I find works for me is, I wrap the sinker dropper line around the rod, then pass the shortened excess between the rod and the line on the rod BUT above the wraps, so the weight of the sinker on the wrapped line holds it down too, without loosening.

db1.PNG

This photo is only a gauge, I would wrap the line one more time around the rod, to lessen the excess to the sinker
db2.PNG

Cheers, Bugatti
who has the same sinker mould as denis :)

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm

I've always liked coaming racks for rod storage and with my new boat I couldn't decide whether to go 6 or 8 down one side or 3 or 4 either side. I figured it would be better to go the latter so I'd have more side access and ordered in a pair of el-cheapo Ocean South's. When I went into the store to collect them I found these H/duty models instead. The tubes are 44mm so no probs with thicker rod butts and net handles and are welded to 6mm bar instead of folded sheet like the imported ones, built to last :thumbsup:

Return to “Boating”