No more 2 strokes (nearly)

phil1818

Re: No more 2 strokes (nearly)

Post by phil1818 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:41 pm

purple5ive wrote:That's what I'm trying to say. Having that many 2 strokes in the country basically decimated it. I certainly agree about the population perspective.
Not comparing. Just stating a fact I personally witnessed for 19 years.
If they banned 2 strokes there it wouldn't be this bad as it is now.
We don’t have any issues with 2 strokes here so it doesn’t make much sense to ban them here, just another perfect example of the government being way off the pulse on what this country actually needs

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:09 pm

I think they are just gearing up for the future..
Mainly the 4 stroke and electric only lakes up qld way and that. Similar sort of approach.
Planning for the future is never a bad thing. Specially when it could help the whole sustainable fishing thing. Mainly again lakes and rivers not the ocean.
I don't think they can ban it 100% just restrict it more so.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:38 am

I'm all for the banning of carbied 2 bangers on boats, bikes etc. But small garden equipment that sees less than 20 hours use a year?

Let's compare my little husky combi (525rjd) to the competition. 25cc, burns through 600ml of 50:1 in just under 2 hours, in that time 90% has been at wot. Weighs just over 5kg so perfectly balanced I don't even use a strap or harness and has enough power destroy fully grown Diosmas with the standard 2.4mm line if not careful. On top of able to cut down 12inch thick branches off a gum tree with the pole saw attachment without bogging down. Able to use at any angle, including upside down. Super simple to fix. Cost to maintain is a $6 spark plug each year and some 2 stroke oil.

Honda GX25 4 stroke. Costs more outright depending on model. Less torque and it does not rev as hard. To counter the usage angles and adequate lubrication it has a very complicated lubrication system (good luck doing a quick fix with that). Weighs more and isn't as well balanced, needed a strap just to demo the unit (umk425) for 5 minutes. Adequate to fell tall grass with line, failed to knock over a sapling first pass. Comparable fuel burn but doesn't like to sit at wot the whole time. Costs to maintain aren't much more than the 2 stroke.

Battery electric. Battery lasts only 30 minutes (average across all electric offerings from all brands). Most expensive outright purchase. There is not 1 single technology that is 100% pollution neutral to manufacture, recharge the battery or dispose of the toxic batteries when they're dead as a door nail. High torque but low power so most use insanely thin and useless line. To get similar continual usage time as the 2 and 4 stroke engines you need up to 4 individual batteries, or a battery 4 times the size of most offerings (ridiculously expensive, more than what my Husky costs to replace brand new, and heavy).

And chainsaws, well nothing gets close to the performance of a 2 stroke. They're not rickshaws or the primary mode of transportation for everyone in the country. They're small displacement engines that non professionals would be lucky to rack up 20 hours of use with a year. There's more natural VOCs released from eucalyptus trees across the country for christ sake

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:14 am

Garden tools I think will be the least of our problems.
Agree with you on that.
Boats bikes etc.. yeah 4 stroke or injected 2 stroke for the EPA benefits of the future.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:09 am

cobby wrote:I'm all for the banning of carbied 2 bangers on boats, bikes etc. But small garden equipment that sees less than 20 hours use a year?
That's for home use, what about commercial(and there's a lot of them out there) the hrs are a lot more than that. Over spring and summer I can easily do 50hrs a week.

one2three

Post by one2three » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:16 am

Looking at this in so many ways, it was not long ago that we had leaded petrol.
Jack of all trades, Master of none

cobby

Post by cobby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:23 am

Brett wrote:
cobby wrote:I'm all for the banning of carbied 2 bangers on boats, bikes etc. But small garden equipment that sees less than 20 hours use a year?
That's for home use, what about commercial(and there's a lot of them out there) the hrs are a lot more than that. Over spring and summer I can easily do 50hrs a week.
Brett are those 50 hours spent using a 2 stroke whippy or hedge trimmer? Obviously not because you'd have zero time to sleep. Would a battery electric with 2 batteries last you a day without asking clients to use their power points?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:09 pm

one2three wrote:Looking at this in so many ways, it was not long ago that we had leaded petrol.
yes it's shame it's gone - didn't go off as fast as unleaded
I was playing motor sport at the time - can't do plug chops with unleaded so set ups at the track were hard to do
leaded fuels didn't foul plugs as bad

it might have been bad for your central nervest system but it was more stable
cobby wrote:I'm all for the banning of carbied 2 bangers on boats, bikes etc.

Honda GX25 4 stroke. Costs more outright depending on model. Less torque and it does not rev as hard.

And chainsaws, well nothing gets close to the performance of a 2 stroke.

I also like carbs for one reason you can fix them or find fault in them almost anywhere - find a fault in an ECU outside the workshop
on the water or in the bush for an enduro bike

all being equal most 4 strokes rev harder than the same size 2 stroke - they still produce less power - 2 strokes sound like they are reving faster
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cobby

Post by cobby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:28 pm

525RJD:8500rpm. Honda UMK425 (gx25 engine):7000rpm

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Plug chops !
Sounds like a term that not many would know about Cheater !
I know them well,,,Well, I used too, now with unleaded a thing of the past and a whole new era for those engines to combat the unleaded.
Caused me a fair bit of grief getting to grips with just getting the old girls to run on the road ! didn't have to worry to much about pre "detonation" issues , but now !!!!!

Col

Return to “Boating”