No more 2 strokes (nearly)

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: No more 2 strokes (nearly)

Post by Brett » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:24 pm

cobby wrote:
Brett wrote:
cobby wrote:I'm all for the banning of carbied 2 bangers on boats, bikes etc. But small garden equipment that sees less than 20 hours use a year?
That's for home use, what about commercial(and there's a lot of them out there) the hrs are a lot more than that. Over spring and summer I can easily do 50hrs a week.
Brett are those 50 hours spent using a 2 stroke whippy or hedge trimmer? Obviously not because you'd have zero time to sleep. Would a battery electric with 2 batteries last you a day without asking clients to use their power points?

50 hrs 1 bloke on whip and 1 on hedge, or 2 on whip, it's not hard to tally up 50hrs in the on season, some of the guys down here work 7 till 7 :o_0:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Plug chops !
Sounds like a term that not many would know about Cheater !

Col
3 main tracks I use to be on with the bike were Winton - easy to get a good run down the old back straight shut it down and roll to the exit
Phillip Island getting a good run down from Southern Loop shut it down and roll into the back of the pits at Honda
but Caulder what a pain getting a reading on plugs was a run down the front straight and a damm long push back to the pits from turn one

I doubt to many would know what a plug chop was today or how to re jet a carb

latter I played with a car with Webbers it would be fun to see how many mechanics could get them right today
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:37 pm

I haven't raced here, but tinkered with things back home.
Have decided my next bike project, will be for classic bike races. Just need to find something that would spark me up for all the effort.

We used to have a couple of "long back roads" back home, it was effectively called "chop Street", regular as clock work it would have a consistent flow of Brit bikes, heading there for there regular Plug Chop on weekends. At the end of the road was a rest area, where you would coast into, and then stay there for a few hours admiring other bikes. Great fun......

Col

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Col you need higher octane fuel and colder plugs.

Plug chops still work with unleaded but harder to read.

Much easier to measure the exhaust AFR and EGT than read plugs.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:34 pm

frozenpod wrote:Col you need higher octane fuel and colder plugs.

much easier to carry spark plugs in the motor than a workshop on your back
blacklab99 wrote:I haven't raced here, but tinkered with things back home.
Have decided my next bike project, will be for classic bike races. Just need to find something that would spark me up for all the effort.

Col
I ran historic bikes myself - a CB72 honda to start with then a T20 suzuki and then a T250 suzuki
the T250 was a fun bike no power at all under 8000 and no power over 11000 - you had to tap dance on the clutch quite a bit every lap , that done right it was fairly quick
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:53 pm

cheaterparts wrote:

Sensor permanently mounted in the exhaust and an extra 52mm guage or 1×2" 4 digit 7 segment LCD display.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Frozen, yes, definitely the highest octane the better, I know of some blokes in The U>S, that have got hold of aviation fuel to run there bikes, as the quality of their fuel is shite for these engines. I gave up plug chops years ago, not that accurate, especially having to do the three stages to get it right with the Amal carbs and the wasted spark firing system adds to their intrigue and the need for getting the timing spot on. While, I prefer to keep there appearance original, Electronic Ignition discreetly fitted is a gods end. I don't know why I have a fascination with these old parrellel twins, it's definitely more the tinkering. Basically designed in the 1940's and effectively hand made, but making them bullet proof, yet alone racing them is the interesting part. I couldn't tell you the hours I've put into this current project, especially encorporating the modern upgrades internally to make them bullet proof. fun fun fun.

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Cheater, my first venture in to bike racing was when my brother in law imported the first Yam RD 350 in the city we lived in back home and raced the local circuits, would have been 74-75 maybe, cant remember, It was the first one at the time on the track over there and absolutely cleaned up in it's class. It was a great scene back then and I've got to admit, the Japanese bikes, were at the time, guilt edge mechanically, Certainly compared to their British counter parts who never moved with the times. There seems to be a resurgence in classic racing going on at the minute, especially British, amongst that are the real serious contenders who like my friend, pouring huge money into a Brit bike, to both conform but more importantly win ! there serious ! There's still a few old blokes kicking around that were involved in the old BSA racing back in the day, who I've managed to pick there brains and get valuable info off, before they are no longer around.
AND, on top of all this, a boat arriving back in my workshop any day now which will require all my time, very soon.......
To many projects and ideas, not enough time unfortunately .........

Col

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:30 pm

frozenpod wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:

Sensor permanently mounted in the exhaust and an extra 52mm guage or 1×2" 4 digit 7 segment LCD display.
is that 1 gauge for each pipe and how would that go covered in oil ( I ran two strokes ) 25 to 1 oil 100/130 av gas and castrol TTS oil
My kayak PBs

Cheater

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Brett wrote:
cobby wrote:
Brett wrote:
cobby wrote:I'm all for the banning of carbied 2 bangers on boats, bikes etc. But small garden equipment that sees less than 20 hours use a year?
That's for home use, what about commercial(and there's a lot of them out there) the hrs are a lot more than that. Over spring and summer I can easily do 50hrs a week.
Brett are those 50 hours spent using a 2 stroke whippy or hedge trimmer? Obviously not because you'd have zero time to sleep. Would a battery electric with 2 batteries last you a day without asking clients to use their power points?

50 hrs 1 bloke on whip and 1 on hedge, or 2 on whip, it's not hard to tally up 50hrs in the on season, some of the guys down here work 7 till 7 :o_0:
Yeah now it makes sense with a few people.

Return to “Boating”