No more 2 strokes (nearly)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: No more 2 strokes (nearly)

Post by frozenpod » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:07 pm

Provided there is no lead yes. Oil does reduce the life of the sensor but it is from decades to years.

Dual sensors per guage systems are available if pipes combine you only need one sensor per combination.

PJ72

Post by PJ72 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
one2three wrote:Looking at this in so many ways, it was not long ago that we had leaded petrol.
yes it's shame it's gone - didn't go off as fast as unleaded
I was playing motor sport at the time - can't do plug chops with unleaded so set ups at the track were hard to do
leaded fuels didn't foul plugs as bad

it might have been bad for your central nervest system but it was more stable
cobby wrote:I'm all for the banning of carbied 2 bangers on boats, bikes etc.

Honda GX25 4 stroke. Costs more outright depending on model. Less torque and it does not rev as hard.

And chainsaws, well nothing gets close to the performance of a 2 stroke.

I also like carbs for one reason you can fix them or find fault in them almost anywhere - find a fault in an ECU outside the workshop
on the water or in the bush for an enduro bike

all being equal most 4 strokes rev harder than the same size 2 stroke - they still produce less power - 2 strokes sound like they are reving faster
Damn near fell of my chair, haven't heard plug chop's mentioned for years!
cheaterparts wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Plug chops !
Sounds like a term that not many would know about Cheater !

Col
3 main tracks I use to be on with the bike were Winton - easy to get a good run down the old back straight shut it down and roll to the exit
Phillip Island getting a good run down from Southern Loop shut it down and roll into the back of the pits at Honda
but Caulder what a pain getting a reading on plugs was a run down the front straight and a damm long push back to the pits from turn one

I doubt to many would know what a plug chop was today or how to re jet a carb

latter I played with a car with Webbers it would be fun to see how many mechanics could get them right today
One thing that frustrated me about some of the so called mechanics that I had to work with, was that many wouldn't know how to tune a car with a carby, yet alone points, I won't even mention about re jetting, and this was close to 15 + years ago, one bloke I worked with, I bet him my car (260z Roadster) that he couldn't tune it, twin SU's and points, he didn't know where to start :rofl:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 pm

PJ72 wrote: One thing that frustrated me about some of the so called mechanics that I had to work with, was that many wouldn't know how to tune a car with a carby, yet alone points, I won't even mention about re jetting, and this was close to 15 + years ago, one bloke I worked with, I bet him my car (260z Roadster) that he couldn't tune it, twin SU's and points, he didn't know where to start :rofl:
funny that I ran points on my all of my historic bikes and the T250 produced good power till 11000 when it ran off the pipe
I had guys telling me you need to fit up CDI ( you know the guys behind me )

and for the webers I machined my own chokes as I couldn't get the sizes I wonted ( still have the jig to hold them with while turning them in the lathe )
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:37 pm

PJ, you must be a crusty old bugga like me and cheater ! LOL

My main issue with my current bike, are the twin independed Amal Carbs, they are old tec, and basically an absolute sod to tune and balance.
Also, being a parrallel twin and runs one cycle on one cylinder as a wasted spark, so getting the carb right as far as fuel/air mix goes, its critical !!.
I've actually made up a carb vacume balance kit, just to get them as even as possible, and corrct jetting can sometimes be a real trial and error, but they wear differently so its a constant issue.
Cheater, I ran points as well originally, as long as you give it regular maintenance, they were fine, but fitting electronic ignition was the best upgrade I've ever done, for a few reasons, mainly the current modern fuel.
Hey,, put me in front of a car engine, newer than a 1990, and I wouldn't even attempt to pull out my tools ! far to technical for me.
Interestingly, my son, a factory qualified mechanic ( fairly recent), was absolutely lost when he helped me set up the timing and dialling it in for a first start up on another rebuild a while back !, He was really interested in the final stages of assembly, but they simply don't work on these old dinosaurs any more, modern vehicles are a completely different beast compared........

Col

Return to “Boating”