No more 2 strokes (nearly)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: No more 2 strokes (nearly)

Post by cobby » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 am

For everything but small portable engines like chainsaws, whipper snippers and the like its a good thing. But to blanket ban absolutely everything with little to no understanding of WHY 2 stroke engines make up the bulk of the products available and in use in those categories is ridiculous. Does nothing but show how agenda driven and inept every single drop kick in public service really is.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:56 pm

To know what a 2 stroke motor does to the environment you need to visit a 3rd world country.
You will be glad it's taken seriously here..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Does.that mean 4 strokes become cheaper then?

one2three

Post by one2three » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:17 pm

smile0784 wrote:Does.that mean 4 strokes become cheaper then?
You would hope so but maybe highly unlikely.

Then they will introduce a tax for using 4 stoke or make up some kind of rubbish....
Jack of all trades, Master of none

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:48 pm

I think there might be some misunderstanding here. There is no indication that two stroke motorbikes are caught by the new legislation and there is no restriction on the continued use of existing two stroke equipment. Two strokes will be around for years and rather than spell the end of two stroke servicing and repair, the new rules will probably be a shot in the arm as owners and operators do their best to prolong the life of their beloved two strokes.
The other thing to bear in mind is that the new emission standards have been in place overseas for some time now and the sky hasn't fallen yet. It's unlikely that we will be any different

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:09 pm

colnick wrote:I think there might be some misunderstanding here. There is no indication that two stroke motorbikes are caught by the new legislation and there is no restriction on the continued use of existing two stroke equipment. Two strokes will be around for years and rather than spell the end of two stroke servicing and repair, the new rules will probably be a shot in the arm as owners and operators do their best to prolong the life of their beloved two strokes.
The other thing to bear in mind is that the new emission standards have been in place overseas for some time now and the sky hasn't fallen yet. It's unlikely that we will be any different
Spot on
Many European countries are talking about banning diesel cars, France for one
Yet Australia is pushing diesel cars. What next???
Electric cars ???. The batteries in electric cars are toxic and there is no known safe way to dispose of them.
Why can't we put the toxic waste on a rocket and sent to the sun, it's a nuclear reactor, isn't it ???
Gra

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:28 pm

purple5ive wrote:To know what a 2 stroke motor does to the environment you need to visit a 3rd world country.
You will be glad it's taken seriously here..
At anywhere from 25-150 times the pollutants of a car per hour for an 8hp boat engine. Which I have no issue with.

It's the small portable air cooled engines like those used in chainsaws, whipper snippers etc. where 4 strokes for the most part have inherent impracticalities beyond just cost or battery powered electrics that present their own environmental issues as far as charging, lithium ion disposal after failure, impractical for heavy users and the excruciatingly expensive purchase costs. You can pry my Husqvarna 2 stroke whippy out of my cold dead hands

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Man I grew up in India where 2 strokes rule.
I'll dare you right now to live there for a year and see how your fare health wise.
Melbourne is the equivalent of the Amazon rainforest when compared to where I used to live.

2 stroke motorcycles, rickshaws and outboards as far as the eye can see. Not to mention old school diesels..
It's a lot better EPA wise now. But the damage is already done.
Only takes 20 mins of being outside your house to look like you came from a coalmine.

The only place that was unmolested was the island I lived on. No motorised vehicles there those days. Now there's a bridge linking the mainland with the island and with that the place got r@ped...

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 pm

purple5ive wrote:Man I grew up in India where 2 strokes rule.
I'll dare you right now to live there for a year and see how your fare health wise.
Melbourne is the equivalent of the Amazon rainforest when compared to where I used to live.

2 stroke motorcycles, rickshaws and outboards as far as the eye can see. Not to mention old school diesels..
It's a lot better EPA wise now. But the damage is already done.
Only takes 20 mins of being outside your house to look like you came from a coalmine.

The only place that was unmolested was the island I lived on. No motorised vehicles there those days. Now there's a bridge linking the mainland with the island and with that the place got r@ped...
Comparing India to Australia is a fairly long bow to draw given India has more people in some cities then our entire population and they all ride around on old **** heap Honda 2 stroke scooters

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:22 pm

That's what I'm trying to say. Having that many 2 strokes in the country basically decimated it. I certainly agree about the population perspective.
Not comparing. Just stating a fact I personally witnessed for 19 years.
If they banned 2 strokes there it wouldn't be this bad as it is now.

Return to “Boating”