No more 2 strokes (nearly)

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: No more 2 strokes (nearly)

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:35 pm

frozenpod wrote:
davek wrote:This interests me more in the 4 stoke chainsaw. I'm not aware of any on the market but will be interested in the power difference, cheers davo.
You can get them, but they have issues. Apart from the extra weight and lack of power the big issues is they cannot be used all all angles.

http://www.huskychainsaws.co.uk/acatalo ... troke.html

They really need a dry sump lubrication sytem to make them work which would be massively too expensive.
Check out the Honda GX25 / GX35 engines, can run at any angle.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:48 pm

This will explain the Honda GX20/GX35 lubrication system... watch the video it's an amazing feat.

At this point in time Honda has no intention of developing a chainsaw with these engines.

http://world.honda.com/powerproducts-te ... engine-gx/
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:52 pm

hornet wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
davek wrote:This interests me more in the 4 stoke chainsaw. I'm not aware of any on the market but will be interested in the power difference, cheers davo.
You can get them, but they have issues. Apart from the extra weight and lack of power the big issues is they cannot be used all all angles.

They really need a dry sump lubrication sytem to make them work which would be massively too expensive.
Nifty and mostly used on whipper snippers. But 1/2 of the power of a 2 stroke with more size and weight.

I cant find one on a decent sized chainsaw only small pole trimmers.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:26 pm

As I read it, there will be three standards, based on current US regulation.

* Ground based motors ( pumps, generators. mowers etc) up to 25 hp. No two strokes will meet the emissions standards.
* Above ground motors ( chainsaws, line trimmers etc) which will have a less stringent emission standard, but only sophisticated
two strokes will comply.
* Marine engines, where no carby two strokes will comply but most modern direct injection two strokes will make the grade.

Note that it is not strictly a two stroke ban, it is a set of emission standards which few two strokes will be able to meet. There is no intention to restrict existing motors and I would expect parts to be available for popular two strokes for years to come. Could be a good business opportunity for some enterprising person?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:43 pm

frozenpod wrote:
hornet wrote:
frozenpod wrote:

Nifty and mostly used on whipper snippers. But 1/2 of the power of a 2 stroke with more size and weight.

some of those battery powered tools are torquey little beasts...the tech is only going to get better over the next few years

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Mates got a Honda (?) 4 stroke edger
His only complaint is it's weight
Gra

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I have used and repaired chainsaws for 42yrs and thought that sooner or later a 4 stroke model would appear, my main queries would have been as mentioned earlier, weight and power, still I have enough 2 stroke saws to see my lifetime out, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:27 pm

colnick wrote:As I read it, there will be three standards, based on current US regulation.

* Ground based motors ( pumps, generators. mowers etc) up to 25 hp. No two strokes will meet the emissions standards.
* Above ground motors ( chainsaws, line trimmers etc) which will have a less stringent emission standard, but only sophisticated
two strokes will comply.
* Marine engines, where no carby two strokes will comply but most modern direct injection two strokes will make the grade.

Note that it is not strictly a two stroke ban, it is a set of emission standards which few two strokes will be able to meet. There is no intention to restrict existing motors and I would expect parts to be available for popular two strokes for years to come. Could be a good business opportunity for some enterprising person?

Pretty much mate, I would say my reading was there was a ban in importing rather than the sale of. So if locally produced they could still be legally sold. Probably a loop hole soon to be closed. See my earlier post on page one of a VIC business starting to produce 2 stroke motors.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
hornet wrote:
frozenpod wrote:

some of those battery powered tools are torquey little beasts...the tech is only going to get better over the next few years

I have a few awesome electric garden tools myself, some are great but for a chainsaw there is no replacement for a petrol motor atm that I am aware of IMO.

I just don't see how a battery would work atm if you head to a remote area to cut up a fallen tree for firewood no power to recharge batteries and be sawing for hrs on end with a few breaks for a drink and top up the fuel tank.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:34 pm

They're not banning the use of, or repair of, or sale of, 2 strokes.
Just you can't bring any more in, from overseas

Just reread the article, it says some edgers and saws would remain 2 stroke
As of 2019 you won't be able to buy 2 stroke lawn mowers or generators
I'm assuming new products
There will be a sh@t load of 2 strokes around for years to come
Hey Dave, I've got a ryobi generator (I found, in hard rubbish) I'll drop it in, when I'm in the area
Cheers Gra

Return to “Boating”