Fuel useage good or bad for a 2 stroke.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Fuel useage good or bad for a 2 stroke.

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:53 pm

What was the travel speed at 3800rpm?

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:42 pm

So this is a 5.6 mtr fibreglass boat ???
Gee, I dunno, an old 115 15 year old Johnson is going to be working hard to push that along !
In the old scale, 1- 1.15 km per litre would be the best you'd get out of that surely ?
Even at 1 litre per km I'd say your doing pretty good.
But you were way worse than that from memory, so there are a few things to really check over as someone listed out.
Remember this sounds like a decent size boat with an old carby tecnology pushing her along,
The deeper the V the more fuel she will use as well.

As far as the four stroke vrs 2 stroke cost etc, if your only going local and not using it much, the benefit of a 4 stroke wont be seen, if you did huge miles, say fishing a lot on the shelf, that's where a four stroke comes into its own..
I made the decision to go 4 stroke when a trip out to the shelf was using 150-160 ltrs, compared to a mates 90 ltrs,
huge difference if you do alot of shelf work........
Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:46 pm

blacklab99 wrote:So this is a 5.6 mtr fibreglass boat ???
Gee, I dunno, an old 115 15 year old Johnson is going to be working hard to push that along !
In the old scale, 1- 1.15 km per litre would be the best you'd get out of that surely ?
But you were way worse than that from memory, so there are a few things to really check over as someone listed out.
Remember this sounds like a decent size boat with an old carby tecnology pushing her along,

As far as the four stroke vrs 2 stroke cost etc, if your only going local and not using it much, the benefit of a 4 stroke wont be seen, if you did huge miles, say fishing a lot on the shelf, that's where a four stroke comes into its own..
I made the decision to go 4 stroke when a trip out to the shelf was using 150-160 ltrs, compared to a mates 90 ltrs,
Col
Trailcraft is a alloy plate boat

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm

smile0784 wrote:

Col
The trailcraft is a absloute fantastic boat

Tough as nails.

Bm

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Ok, my ignorance there, didn't know what the trail craft was.
Listen Smile, Cobby had all the things in his post that you need to do, go over his list, very valid points.
Find out what the motor's maximum rev's are suppose to be, being an older motor it may not rev out the same, but if it's set up on the boat properly, you should get near the max rev's, which would indicate right horse power for boat and the motor is performing well, that's one good set up test. Lugging the old girl will not help with fuel economy.
Go over all Cobby's points and you will probably rectify a few things along the way which all may be contributing to your economy.
If you can get 120 km's from her using 120 ltrs, I think you would probably be getting the best out of her that you could expect.
Hey, its a good winter project so you have it running sweet by snapper season............

Col

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:16 pm

barra mick wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

Col
The trailcraft is a absloute fantastic boat

Tough as nails.

Bm
Thats what i heard so i bought one.
I was told practually unsinkable so was a big plus lol

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:18 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Ok, my ignorance there, didn't know what the trail craft was.
Listen Smile, Cobby had all the things in his post that you need to do, go over his list, very valid points.
Find out what the motor's maximum rev's are suppose to be, being an older motor it may not rev out the same, but if it's set up on the boat properly, you should get near the max rev's, which would indicate right horse power for boat and the motor is performing well, that's one good set up test. Lugging the old girl will not help with fuel economy.
Go over all Cobby's points and you will probably rectify a few things along the way which all may be contributing to your economy.
If you can get 120 km's from her using 120 ltrs, I think you would probably be getting the best out of her that you could expect.
Hey, its a good winter project so you have it running sweet by snapper season............

Col
Will do thanks

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Considered selling it and upgrading to a newer boat???

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Did last year lol.
Went from a 1993 quintrex to the trailcraft and spent as much as i could lol.
Considerations were price vs size vs able to be towed with current car vs safety vs functionality vs age of boat

This boat ticked most of the boxes.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:08 pm

phil1818 wrote:Considered selling it and upgrading to a newer boat???
You want to buy it lol

Return to “Boating”