Boat ramp etiquette

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Boat ramp etiquette

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 pm

bowl wrote:Wolly,maybe once pamphlet is done ...said it into the target one million mob.
Good idea i think or even advertise on tv ads

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:31 pm

skouta wrote:A biggie for me is don't launch by yourself if you don't have a spot to tie up the boat on the jetty so you can move your vehicle.

So many times at Rye Boat Ramp when there are no spots on the jetty people have launched on their own and rather than beach the boat and move the car they just wait around off the jetty waiting for a spot, I've seen someone waiting around for 15 minutes whilst a ramp is blocked by a vehicle just waiting for the driver.

I launch on my own and if it's not suitable for beaching and there are no spots at the jetty I will drive around the parking lot until the jetty has eased up a bit.

That's my little rant...
Good point there
All about being considereate for others

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Nude up wrote:Curious as to how they took your advice, some people don’t take advice easy and are pretty stroppy

He said that there was no one waiting and I said, pointing to the other car, yes there is, and they then moved off the ramp, into a parking spot.

If you guys are interested I will draw up a list, and after we agree what should be on the list, print it out and hand it out at boat ramps, what do you think
Sounds good to me I reckon we could cover every boat ramp in Melbourne

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:30 pm

:rofl:

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 pm

As wolly saidnin post #6 prepare the boat before driving into that ramp reverse station. I see that regularly, people prepping the boat in the reversing station while the ramp is empty. while the ramp is empty.
I launch solo 100% of the time, even when the missus comes along I have to do it all myself. She’s definitely not a “reversing a trailer or boat trailer” person.
Plus I don’t want to trust or blame anyone else but myself in relation to the hook up or release of the boat off the trailer.
Unless the ramp has a jetty to tie up to I won’t even go there, havingba 6.2m fibreglass boat.
As many of us have said a bit of patience, courtesy and an offer to help goes a long way.
Personally I prefer to get up extra early to avoid the rush. Like last week, got up at 2:45, almost a 2 hour drive to sorrento, then launch at 5:30. There was only 3 or 4 others at the ramp that I saw.
But it is winter I guess. I’ll have to get up earlier in summer :water:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Nude up wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Nude up wrote:Curious as to how they took your advice, some people don’t take advice easy and are pretty stroppy

He said that there was no one waiting and I said, pointing to the other car, yes there is, and they then moved off the ramp, into a parking spot.

If you guys are interested I will draw up a list, and after we agree what should be on the list, print it out and hand it out at boat ramps, what do you think
I have asked RACV marine insurance if they are interested in sponsoring this idea

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Nude up wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

I have asked RACV marine insurance if they are interested in sponsoring this idea
It really is a good idea I am sure some people have no idea they are doing anything wrong, and one of the reasons I go at odd times to avoid trouble especially when I launch alone most of the time

ango

Post by ango » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Its just selfishness, I see it on the roads too sometimes when cars travelling in opposite directions stop to have a chat and block the road, everyone needs to be more aware of how their actions affect other people, but some don't give a stuff.
Cheers
Ango.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm

ango wrote:Its just selfishness, I see it on the roads too sometimes when cars travelling in opposite directions stop to have a chat and block the road, everyone needs to be more aware of how their actions affect other people, but some don't give a stuff.
Cheers
Ango.
Sometimes it can selfishness and other times it may be lack of awareness because of lack of education . When you go for your boat license you are not tested about how to launch your boat.

Sure there blokes who they are very special and that they own the boat ramp, but fortunately they are in the minority.

Return to “Boating”