Bastion Point

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Bastion Point

Post by rb85 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Anyone been down to the natural sand trap of bastion point lately?

What a screw up this has turned out to be the local community never wanted it a naturally wonderful spot was butchered all for what to appease fisherman and look what they got. Won’t be long until a boatie gets seriously hurt from a building swell resulting from an east coast low.

So get down to bastion for a beach launch.

rb85

Re: Bastion Point

Post by rb85 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Best remove the channel markers it’s blocking the new take off spot for local surfers.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Any photo's

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Doesn’t sounds good.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Is that bastion point at Mallacoota

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Nude up wrote:Is that bastion point at Mallacoota
Yeah have seen a few photos of the sand built up to the navigation markers when the project was in the proposal stage this was predicted by many opposing the upgrade.

Yet the government ignored locals concerns and pushed on. If I was an ab diver I would be pissed off about being unable to launch when I previously could.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Mon May 28, 2018 11:22 am

Had a mate stay at Gabo few weeks back, they wanted to come back but had to wait the 6 hours for high tide to get over it. The sand on the end is shocking, they probably wont dredge until it gets busier after winter so It could be like this for a while.

At Christmas time when I go up every year they had dredged it last year. I touched coming back in on a dead low tide in a tiny. Not ideal.

The wall never went out far enough, should've extended another 100- 150 meters past swell. Its dangerous at times, but more so when busy and not being able to see what's coming in and out from the wall.
Having said this I also had a mate few years ago get pushed into the green marker by trailing wave around the wall (write off and ruined holiday). I agree its poorly designed.

Not all locals were opposed to it either as its a big draw card to the community. The previous ramp was a lot less safe, a few people lost their lives on the bar crossing, 1. because they didn't read it properly, but also because they couldn't access the previous ramp due to its condition.

Return to “Boating”