Brooker Boats

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Re: Brooker Boats

Post by KeenAds » Tue May 22, 2018 11:40 am

I have been out of the boating scene for a while now so not up to scratch on lastest info on outboards. What is considered too high for a small outboad of about 30 to 60 HP.

Apart from a service history is there anything in particular I should look out for. On my old Johnston 35HP I used to do the servicing myself and never had issues pretty straight forward with the old 2 stroke donk.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue May 22, 2018 1:34 pm

KeenAds wrote:I have been out of the boating scene for a while now so not up to scratch on lastest info on outboards. What is considered too high for a small outboad of about 30 to 60 HP.

Apart from a service history is there anything in particular I should look out for. On my old Johnston 35HP I used to do the servicing myself and never had issues pretty straight forward with the old 2 stroke donk.
You mean hours on out board ...my Caribbean has low hours around 130.... My savage tin can has unknown hours. I just gave it a good test run b4 buying on the Water. . 98 Johnson starts fairly easy...sits 4400 to 4700 rpm n does not miss a beat.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Tue May 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah sorry was referring to hours.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

A lot of outboards now have a port so you can plug in a laptop and do a diagnostic scan...it will tell you how many times is been started, engine faults, temperatures, hours it's been running and what rev's it was sitting at (how many hours it's been idling, trolling, WOT, etc). The owner should have kept a copy of these reports with each service, if not your local dealer can plug it in and tell you if there is any reason for concern.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 22, 2018 2:50 pm

/\ Not on carby Models, most EFI models however do

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Mattblack wrote:A lot of outboards now have a port so you can plug in a laptop and do a diagnostic scan...it will tell you how many times is been started, engine faults, temperatures, hours it's been running and what rev's it was sitting at (how many hours it's been idling, trolling, WOT, etc). The owner should have kept a copy of these reports with each service, if not your local dealer can plug it in and tell you if there is any reason for concern.
Moden day tech is wonderful sometimes

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 22, 2018 4:42 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:A lot of outboards now have a port so you can plug in a laptop and do a diagnostic scan...it will tell you how many times is been started, engine faults, temperatures, hours it's been running and what rev's it was sitting at (how many hours it's been idling, trolling, WOT, etc). The owner should have kept a copy of these reports with each service, if not your local dealer can plug it in and tell you if there is any reason for concern.
Moden day tech is wonderful sometimes
Sure is :thumbsup:

Return to “Boating”