Nissan X-Trail as a tow vehicle?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Nissan X-Trail as a tow vehicle?

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Just to let you guys know.. The towing capacity of a vehicle includes what you have in the car, for example; If there is 5 blokes in the car weighing 80kgs each and a 60lt esky in the back full of ice and food you must minus the 400kgs for the people in the car and the 60kg+ for the esky. So a 2000kg tow capacity vehicle quickly becomes much less the more you load her up. This is something to think about when doing those longer trips and your car and boat are full to the brim.

Cheers, Anth
where did you get this info from?
and if thats the case the unbraked tow limit is broken by almost everyone then?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue May 15, 2018 6:30 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Just to let you guys know.. The towing capacity of a vehicle includes what you have in the car, for example; If there is 5 blokes in the car weighing 80kgs each and a 60lt esky in the back full of ice and food you must minus the 400kgs for the people in the car and the 60kg+ for the esky. So a 2000kg tow capacity vehicle quickly becomes much less the more you load her up. This is something to think about when doing those longer trips and your car and boat are full to the brim.

Cheers, Anth
I was told the same thing, by my brother. He brought a 200 series Landcruiser.
I can't afford one though. If you get "say" a BT50 the more weight in the vehicle, the less you can tow.
Cheers Gra

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Cheers, Anth
Sorry but I don't think this is correct. I am no expert in this field but I believe its only the weight of the of the load being towed not what's in the car. The place I used to work at was very strict with this when loading up our trailers for delivery we were always very cautious with this.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 pm

KeenAds wrote:

Cheers, Anth
Sorry but I don't think this is correct. I am no expert in this field but I believe its only the weight of the of the load being towed not what's in the car. The place I used to work at was very strict with this when loading up our trailers for delivery we were always very cautious with this.
yeah well thats what ive been told all along as well, and it is called Tow weight so anything attached to the towball really?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue May 15, 2018 6:53 pm

KeenAds wrote:

Cheers, Anth
I'm the same as you, only going on hear say

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue May 15, 2018 7:07 pm

It's all to do with GCM. If that figure is 5500kg, Max towing is 3500kg and car weight is 1750kg you have a maximum of 250kg of additional weight before your 3500kg towing capacity is reduced. If 5 passengers weigh a total of 550kg then your maximum towing capacity is reduced to 3200kg

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm

I was thinking the same thing cobby but you got in before me

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed May 16, 2018 8:01 am

purple5ive wrote:

Cheers, Anth
You're right. Everyone does. It can't work the other way of just tow ball weight. What if you and 4 of your mates are all skinny and on 65kgs but me and my 4 mates are all 120+kgs each? This will most definitely change how the car stops even without towing. It's impossible to police though. Your insurance company isn't going to weigh you, your mates and all your gear.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed May 16, 2018 8:13 am

Sinsemilla wrote: This will most definitely change how the car stops even without towing. It's impossible to police though. Your insurance company isn't going to weigh you, your mates and all your gear.

They have and they will(it is also becoming more common now) especially if you are in an accident. If you are over weight, your insurance will be void and you wont get a pay out.

Being that more ppl are towing larger boats and larger caravans a lot more now, they have already started to do weigh points on many highways in QLD, NSW and Vic, this year alone. Albeit they are using them as an educational tool and you are not being fined at the moment, you will be in the near future. So it pays to know your weight limits and the weight of vehicle, payload and boat/van or trailer.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am

cobby wrote:It's all to do with GCM. If that figure is 5500kg, Max towing is 3500kg and car weight is 1750kg you have a maximum of 250kg of additional weight before your 3500kg towing capacity is reduced. If 5 passengers weigh a total of 550kg then your maximum towing capacity is reduced to 3200kg
:thumbsup: Yep and this is why a BT50 can carry more gear and legally tow more than a 200 series.

All needs to be factored in most vehicles tow ratings when you add gear reduce by 10-20%.

Xtrail for example with people and gear would be legally able to tow 1600kg which is a very realistic maximum rating for the vehicle.

Return to “Boating”