Getting on with boat re-build

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:39 pm

IMG_0937.JPG
Not that clear of a pic.
Basically, no more bunks or step down floor in the cuddy cabin, one level floor right thru.
I will be doing the mod's in the cabin area myself.
You can see the square cut out up front in the bow, that was cut for access to the eye bolt which effectively caused all my issues. To be fibre glassed back up, but to save confusion and further delay, I will install an access port once boats back.
Basically, up front, I will be sinking storage compartments into the floor. the rest of that area will be purely for storage, will show you what the end outcome will be once I finally get the boat back.
Firstly, I will install the new fibreglass seat boxes, then install foot rest/ divider between the seats and the cuddy area. will be a bit of a radical design, but I never used the cuddy area at all, it was just to small, so I specifically wanted storage rather than cluttering up the deck area. It will require me probably doing some fibre glassing to get it how I want, but as Martin luther once said " I have a dream".
Whether it will be a success or not, I cant guarantee that ......... :-D

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 pm

IMG_0871.JPG
So, I have about three weeks at the most before I'll get the boat back in my hot little hands,
And that"s all I'll have to get this other project, assembled, back in the frame and fired up !.
The crank is still at the machine shop and the billet conrods are still in transit from the states !!!!
This latest project will be funding my new 4 stroke ......... :thumbsup:

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Have a set of pedestals with seats, seats in pretty good nick.
Are original from my cruise craft.
I'm fitting seat boxes with new seats, so if anyones interested, I can post up a pick........

Col
Clearing a few things out, Have a large bait tank and a S/S berley masher, transom fit also........

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Ok elecky Guru's
I'm getting a few things prepped, I want to drill the bases of my S/S rocket launchers, to feed the a new wire thru the internals and out the top,
Where I have an Led type deck light, and anchor light.
Now at the minute, and like it was when I got it, the wire to the Led fitting and the white anchor light, is was just cable tied up the outer frame of the launcher. ( ugly )

For these two items that I want back in place, they will be on seperate switches eventually when it's all wired up properly.
My question is, as I haven't really got into wiring "learning mode" yet, just wanted to know what "grade" wire ( tinned of course ) would I have to get for this task ??????? and and and, can this be a general size wire that I can use on other lighting fit out items later, so I could buy a decent roll of it.
Hope its not one of those stupid " it depends" questions, just want to get the rocket launcher prepped and the wire in pryor, as that will be one of my first jobs to re fit the launcher.......

Col

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:11 pm

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 pm

rb, cheers,
I've just had a quick look at those links, excellent thanks.
I'll need to get my head around things and have a proper sit down and study of this.
I might gather everything I've collected for my fit out so far, new radio, deck wash, interior light etc etc,
and get the suitable cable for everything at the same time.
I'm flat out at the minute with not much free time till after the weekend, but I'll have a good study of those links and start from there.
Cheers, appreciated......

Col

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Do you just buy the thickest regardless of what its for?

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:39 pm

No absolutely not have a look at the tycab link there should be cable sizes and current rating. The other thing to remember is the auto/marine 4mm isn't the same as the standard electrical cable 4mm.

So the whitworth cable is good for 22amps definitely not required for LED lighting would just have to source it from elsewhere if you wanted smaller gauge wire.

Hope that makes sense.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 pm

rb85 wrote:No absolutely not have a look at the tycab link there should be cable sizes and current rating. The other thing to remember is the auto/marine 4mm isn't the same as the standard electrical cable 4mm.

So the whitworth cable is good for 22amps definitely not required for LED lighting would just have to source it from elsewhere if you wanted smaller gauge wire.

Hope that makes sense.
I'm hearing you RB, well explained.
Obviously when you work with electrix, it's second nature, similar with my trade when people see me working.
But there's so many variables in your game !!
My plan of attack, was, as mentioned, pull out all my accessories I've collected so far, see what each one draws, then look at suitable wire,, geez, that sounds like bush mans terminology :-D
You know what, my father and brother were both sparkies, that's what they had me lined up to do, well, after years of abuse on the farm, where I was the butt of there practical jokes,,, I was always in bare feet, never wore shoes, so they used to run a wire from the electric fence to my bike kick start, hot up door handles in the milking shed, I was bloody scarred before I hit puberty ! Then, with the old man still set on me becoming one, my best mate at school, left 3 months before I did, became a trainee lines man, shortly after wards had a horrible accident on the job, lost both legs and an arm, there was no way I was having a part of it and while I'm handy at almost anything, I wont even wire a plug !
Anyway, I can do this !
cheers

col

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:03 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
rb85 wrote:No absolutely not have a look at the tycab link there should be cable sizes and current rating. The other thing to remember is the auto/marine 4mm isn't the same as the standard electrical cable 4mm.

Hope that makes sense.
I'm hearing you RB, well explained.
Obviously when you work with electrix, it's second nature, similar with my trade when people see me working.
But there's so many variables in your game !!
My plan of attack, was, as mentioned, pull out all my accessories I've collected so far, see what each one draws, then look at suitable wire,, geez, that sounds like bush mans terminology :-D
You know what, my father and brother were both sparkies, that's what they had me lined up to do, well, after years of abuse on the farm, where I was the butt of there practical jokes,,, I was always in bare feet, never wore shoes, so they used to run a wire from the electric fence to my bike kick start, hot up door handles in the milking shed, I was bloody scarred before I hit puberty ! Then, with the old man still set on me becoming one, my best mate at school, left 3 months before I did, became a trainee lines man, shortly after wards had a horrible accident on the job, lost both legs and an arm, there was no way I was having a part of it and while I'm handy at almost anything, I wont even wire a plug !
Anyway, I can do this !
cheers

col
Your story had me laughing until you mentioned your mate. Yeah you will be fine just shoot me a PM if you have a question I may be able to help.

Return to “Boating”