Getting on with boat re-build

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by Lightningx » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:18 pm

rb85 wrote:Motor service after 0 running hours since project commencement?
Hmmmm I was thinking the same thing :rofl:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 pm

rb85 wrote:Look forward to seeing how the stainless looks on hull.
Yeah, it's a ripper of a bait board, BUT, it protrudes well back as I've previously mentioned, and with the transom raised 5 inches,
I have this dark feeling it will have to be cut and modify it with the new fourstroke,,, i couldn't put the old motor up fully with the lower transom.

I'll tell you what though RB, 0000 stainless wool drowned in wd40, makes a beautiful job of cleaning up stainless, underneath was surface rust and gunge like you wouldn't believe, but that and the rocket launcher came up brilliant.
I'll sit it in place tomorrow, Was nick named the " fish and chip vat" by mates that came out with me LOL, but it's stirdy, has 4 good rod holders in it
and good storage. So I'll bolt it on and worry about any Mod's when the new motors fitted......

Col

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Cant wait to see the pictures.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:41 pm

smile0784 wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Can I take you fishing in instead ! LOL
I must admit, as I gather everything and get it ready, it is very satisfying,
Mind, I'll be glad when I'm "project" free, and I can just go out and have a fish !!!
But something tells me, there's always something that needs to be fixed up.

hope all's well

Col
By tue time you get this.all done the motor will be due for service or trailer needs.work lol.
Always something to do with a boat.
And if not theres always rod amd reel servicing amd making of sinkers.lol.
Na, sold the old motor Smile, will bolt on a new 4 stroke.
But you are right about other maintenance, the trailer was new and only had 1/2 a season before i took it off the road,
Dunbier use a Chinese tyre on there trailers and a mate of mine at the tyre shop, advised me to swap them out in no more than 3-4 years, and even with it being sitting for so long, she will get 4 new tyres and bearing job, your right it doesn't end.
Then there's the "irrigation system" i want to put under the trailer, so it will just be a connect up, turn the tap on and the irrigation sprayers do there work. Saw one on a guys boat a while back, it completely flushed the whole trailer with the system, so that's on the list as well.....

Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 pm

rb85 wrote:Motor service after 0 running hours since project commencement?
A motor sitting around is bad. Seals to hard after few months

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
Yeah, it's a ripper of a bait board, BUT, it protrudes well back as I've previously mentioned, and with the transom raised 5 inches,
I have this dark feeling it will have to be cut and modify it with the new fourstroke,,, i couldn't put the old motor up fully with the lower transom.

I'll tell you what though RB, 0000 stainless wool drowned in wd40, makes a beautiful job of cleaning up stainless, underneath was surface rust and gunge like you wouldn't believe, but that and the rocket launcher came up brilliant.
I'll sit it in place tomorrow, Was nick named the " fish and chip vat" by mates that came out with me LOL, but it's stirdy, has 4 good rod holders in it
and good storage. So I'll bolt it on and worry about any Mod's when the new motors fitted......

Col
Hey blacklab

How long until its finished...???

It's taken a while but I know how it is...it took me 9 months to finish my boat...nearly killed me fishing off piers

Cheers bm

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:20 am

blacklab99 wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Can I take you fishing in instead ! LOL
I must admit, as I gather everything and get it ready, it is very satisfying,
Mind, I'll be glad when I'm "project" free, and I can just go out and have a fish !!!
But something tells me, there's always something that needs to be fixed up.

hope all's well

Col
By tue time you get this.all done the motor will be due for service or trailer needs.work lol.
Always something to do with a boat.
And if not theres always rod amd reel servicing amd making of sinkers.lol.
Na, sold the old motor Smile, will bolt on a new 4 stroke.
But you are right about other maintenance, the trailer was new and only had 1/2 a season before i took it off the road,
Dunbier use a Chinese tyre on there trailers and a mate of mine at the tyre shop, advised me to swap them out in no more than 3-4 years, and even with it being sitting for so long, she will get 4 new tyres and bearing job, your right it doesn't end.
Then there's the "irrigation system" i want to put under the trailer, so it will just be a connect up, turn the tap on and the irrigation sprayers do there work. Saw one on a guys boat a while back, it completely flushed the whole trailer with the system, so that's on the list as well.....

Col
If your just buying a motor when you need it for install. It will be good.
I seen the spray trailers and looks good and easy but the person had trouble with plastic hoses and nossles cracking and had to change them out every 2 years.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 am

barra mick wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:

Col
Hey blacklab

How long until its finished...???

It's taken a while but I know how it is...it took me 9 months to finish my boat...nearly killed me fishing off piers

Cheers bm
Hey Barra,
Only had it back for about a month, so it's a full fit out ahead of me.
Realistically, next season me thinks.
I've been lucky, or well, maybe not, but I've had another project to keep me busy while the boat was away, so haven't even thought about fishing to be honest. But now the boats back, yep, the urge is coming back. As long as when it's done it's done right so it lasts me out, is all I really care about,
Oh, and the cost of a new 4 stroke will be a factor and everything else, which is now adding up ! So the busier I am at work will speed up the process as well.

cheers

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 am

Smile,
The trick with those irrigation systems, is to buy the quality ones.
The one I saw, the bloke had had his on , had it on for a few years. You can swap out the sprayer extension pieces pretty easily. I'ts actually not
that expensive to do,, the standard system for your garden is pretty durable with U.V light etc, maybe the salt water effects it a bit, so I would suspect while hosing the boat down you would also give that a quick gurney. Even if I get 2 years out of it, that's well worth the relatively small outlay of what it would cost me thinks, compared to how simple it will be to thoroughly rinse off the trailer, with little effort, I think it's worth the effort, we'll see I suppose........

Col

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:48 am

blacklab99 wrote:Smile,
The trick with those irrigation systems, is to buy the quality ones.
The one I saw, the bloke had had his on , had it on for a few years. You can swap out the sprayer extension pieces pretty easily. I'ts actually not
that expensive to do,, the standard system for your garden is pretty durable with U.V light etc, maybe the salt water effects it a bit, so I would suspect while hosing the boat down you would also give that a quick gurney. Even if I get 2 years out of it, that's well worth the relatively small outlay of what it would cost me thinks, compared to how simple it will be to thoroughly rinse off the trailer, with little effort, I think it's worth the effort, we'll see I suppose........

Col
I seen 2 diffent system.
1 using garden hose and gargen nossles amd the second using garden sprinkling system.
Your right not sure if salt water and constant sun when no boat on it takes it toll on it.
The hook the hose.up amd then had to drive forward a couple.of feet so all the disks get rinsed enough when launching and then when retieving and then when they washed the boat down they hosed down the trailer anyways lol

Return to “Boating”