Getting on with boat re-build

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:23 pm

cobby wrote:The cutting and grinding out the old stuff, the layup of new glass is all fairly quick and easy (itchy though). It's the touch-ups, the rubbing back, the retouch-up, rub back, spray, touch up, rub back, final spray, rub back that's the worst
Cobby, the inside flow coat is a shocking yellowish colour, the shelves have flow coat chipping/peeling off and the edges are down to ply, there's no swelling or rotting, so I want to paint/ protect them. If I also decide to paint out the complete sides, am I better to re do with flow coat, or can I get away with something else ?
I've sanded down the shelves already, so all the loose stuff is off, but have a fair bit of exposed marine ply now.

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:28 pm

IMG_0944.JPG
You can see the yellow colour I want to swap out on the sides. I will be carpeting the shelf bottoms, so that's just for protection, but would now prefer to paint out the sides in a grey as well. ???

Col

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 am

Flowcoat for sure, bit of adding things and you also have gelcoat for any repairs or touchups if needed down the track. Using something like 2 pack poly might be a bit less technical, spray a little easier and initially look better it's not as hard wearing. Bits like the shelf ends or other out of the way things just sand back with 80 or something else coarse to save prep time, the bleeding obvious in your face areas you'll want to get as smooth as possible whilst removing as much of the crappy colour you hate. Old school Haines boats group on sookbook is an absolute mecca of information for this kind of stuff, I'm pretty much at the end of useful information I can give

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks Cobby,
That's helped heaps.
Was googling flow coat up and most of what I was reading sais that applying with a roller or brush actually comes good.
The shelf's them selves have the fronts, which I'm re making new ones, they will be carpet covered, as well as the shelf bottoms, so not exposed, but I have to change out that yellow colour. I'll check out the Haines page for ideas.
Thanks mate, appreciated.

Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:43 am

Can you line it with alloy sheet to keep water off it and ad you rebuild it

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 pm

smile0784 wrote:Can you line it with alloy sheet to keep water off it and ad you rebuild it
Smile, its a fibre glass boat !
covering up marine ply wont stop it from eventually rotting, the ply must be treated and sealed.
lining with alloy sheet ? = weight.
Flowcoat has lasted 30 years, would make sense to me to do the same again, it protects and doesn't corrode.

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:56 pm

Been making a little bit of progress on the boat between a busy last couple of weeks.
Have sanded down one side of the inside of the boat, scuffing up the surface so as to re flow coat it.
Really wanted it to get a wee bit warmer before I start flow coating, as I'm not to clued up with different catalyst rates etc.
Have made up a prototype, to close off the shelf area beside the helm, to install radios and switch panels, out of scrap ply, which was a pain to get the shape of the side of the hull to make it fit nice. Just need to now get the right size and length to make it functional and look like it was suppose to be there. I'll also make one for the other side, and use that to install a lockable safe storage area for keys valuables etc.
I'm going to then make them out of 12 mm ply, seal them and they will be carpeted afterwards to match the shelf covers.
Should have at least one prototype finished ( along with sanding the other side of the boat) by the end of the weekend,
Will post up a pick for comments or ideas............

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:03 pm

IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG
Yep, another double up photo, I'll sort out how not to do that one day.

So, this is what I've been tinkering with.
Shortening the shelf area, and enclosing in the front half, to sink my two marine radios into and probably an auxilery switch block of sorts.
The shelf covering clamped on is over hanging and will get cut approx in half, so there will still be a 600mm shelf behind the boxed in area.
I'll carpet the face and the return to marry up with the rest of the shelf faces, which are getting new carpet all round. I'll have it so the front face either hinges down, or the whole front panel will be screwed in. If this works out, I may do the same thing on the other side, but larger, so it can take a glove box type set up. Making it all out of 12mm marine ply, which I will resin seal before carpeting. I'm hoping it blends in rather than appearing like a cheap add on. I've dropped the face panel lower than the shelf, to line up with the shelf front to look some what original.
Keeping me busy until it warms up a bit, so I can flow coat the sides.
Dont know what it will turn out like But ????? opinions

Col
Attachments
IMG_0960.JPG

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Looks good but just thinking if you put the radios down:
1 - once you put the seat in position can you access the pannel easily with out squeezing past the chair?
2 - can some one else get ib around you amd change the channel of the radio if your driving in a rough weathwr and need to change setting on the radio?
3 - where you going to put the handset for the radios?

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Yep, I was considering all those things.
With the pod in place, there's enough room to get access, the driving side pod will be set back further so as to stand while driving,
with one of those fold up leaning seats, which will also swivel and slide forward to sit, so plenty of room me thinks.
Handset is on an extendable cord,with control features on the hand set, and will probably be clipped above higher somewhere.

If someone, in rough weather, while I'm driving, wants to change the radio channel, I'll grab him by the scruff and flick him overboard !

The radios before, were mounted directly under the dash with a home made aluminium tray set up, wasn't pretty !
They will be mounted near the top of this boxed area, so wont be that much different.
As I was saying, just tinkering with things at the minute and playing around with ideas, sometimes it's better to just make something up, so it's in your face, to see if it will function properly.
All the inside is now pre sanded and ready for flow coating, so once that's done I'll put everything in position and see how it looks.
Either way, I will probably run with the idea, even if it's for fitting a secure lockable glove box type thing, there's no secure storage apart from open
shelves and less options for surface mounting speakers etc etc.

Ply is easy stuff to work with and trial things, who knows what the inside of the boat will look like at the end ! LOL

col

Return to “Boating”