Getting on with boat re-build

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by blacklab99 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 am

smile0784 wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Thought I'd just slip this in here rather than start a new thread.
I've got a steel tray with sides and small under lockable tool boxes on either side,
Been sitting in my car spot for 12 months since some clown came thru a red light and wrote off one of my vehicles.
Its in good nick, could do with a re spray of the deck as sitting there its got a bit of light surface rust, but easily removed.
Got to shift it, not going to use it again, good solid steel tray
let me know if interested I can take a few pic's
going cheap.....

Its for a full deck ute, it's around 2400 ish long.....

col
What sort of ute is it off?
off a nissan navara, cab chassis

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Good question, down to either the 140 suk, or the 115 merc command thrust, leaning towards the merc at the minute.
But maybe another manufacturer will come up with a newer lighter higher H.P by the time I start to look.
But on all accounts, the merc is certainly performing well on all accounts

Col
Col, I'm not sure which merc you are looking at but a friend of mine has new mercs on his boat and they are almost as loud as my old boats 1980s 70hp mariner. Just something to think about if spending a bit of time on the water. I'd be looking at yamaha or suzuki..

Anth
Hey Anth, that's strange, been on a few with the new merc's and I've found them just as quiet as the others.
I had a 2005 125 2 stroke merc before and the new merc's was way quieter.
That was one of the things I was impressed by.......
I've just looked on the website and don't recognize any of the motors.. He got it about 3 or so years ago. It's was 2 stroke and very loud. It may be an older model. Sorry for the confusion

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Good question, down to either the 140 suk, or the 115 merc command thrust, leaning towards the merc at the minute.
But maybe another manufacturer will come up with a newer lighter higher H.P by the time I start to look.

Col
Col, I'm not sure which merc you are looking at but a friend of mine has new mercs on his boat and they are almost as loud as my old boats 1980s 70hp mariner. Just something to think about if spending a bit of time on the water. I'd be looking at yamaha or suzuki..

Anth
Hey Anth, that's strange, been on a few with the new merc's and I've found them just as quiet as the others.
I've just looked on the website and don't recognize any of the motors.. He got it about 3 or so years ago. It's was 2 stroke and very loud. It may be an older model. Sorry for the confusion
Optimax? They're distinctively LOUD especially at wot

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue May 22, 2018 11:25 pm

cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Col

Anth
Optimax? They're distinctively LOUD especially at wot
That's the one. He has twin 150s.. I've never heard motors as loud as they were at WOT. I couldn't believe they were new motors.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Yep, Cobby got in first, Those Opti's fair howl !

I've come to the conclusion today, and its really the first time since the boats been " DOWN"
" I am hanging for a fish ! "
Went out up the top end last year for a days charter, great day out, but Yep ! I'm hangin for a session !

Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:04 pm

My old 1993 yamaha was quieter then the johnson i have now

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Opti is a brilliant motor except for the noise, the 6 cylinders are louder than old school 2 strokes.

Yamaha and zuk 2 strokes were always a bit nicer and quiter than Evinrude/Johnson and Mercs.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:50 am

Do you atore boat under a carport/ garage? or just a travel cover

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:59 pm

?
There's only one place any ones pride and joy should be,
That's locked up behind closed doors, indoors and behind security gates.
Any other means is pure aquatic abuse !
I'd put my wife out side with a cover on her before my boat would suffer such humility !

Col

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun May 27, 2018 10:48 pm

frozenpod wrote:Opti is a brilliant motor except for the noise, the 6 cylinders are louder than old school 2 strokes.

Yamaha and zuk 2 strokes were always a bit nicer and quiter than Evinrude/Johnson and Mercs.
But nothing will ever beat the sound and smell of a 135hp+ V6 black max Mercury on its first start in 3 weeks at 4am. That eye watering gorgeous cloud of blue smoke, that deep rumble and spitting sound out of the exhaust, that horrifically violent shake, the roar of thunder that travelled for miles as the throttle was smashed to sunset.

They were never the same once they dropped that time honoured box shape

Return to “Boating”