Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by Mattblack » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:21 pm

2150mm from the floor to the top crossbar

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks Matt,
I knew mine wasn't the highest designed launcher, but something is adrift !
I've ended up at about 1.82 mtrs, floor to underside top bar. I just clear it. Lost an inch or two along the journey.
Floor was only 7 mm Masonite originally, and I recon they raised the stringer height to give clearance for the raised fuel sender on these plastic tanks, I told him I didn't want the one with the sender, obviously they used one with, plus thicker ply on floor. Interestingly also, specs say 770 internal free board, I'm sitting at 700mm. I seem to recall clearance of around 1.88 under launcher !!! I don't think I want to really think about this !
I'll live with the clearance, I clear it, so all deckies must be 6 ft or under or watch your head !!
Hmm

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Two questions....
1) Auto bilge pumps with a manual/auto switch, or just a manual Bilge pump with switch ?

2) My main 6 panel switch block I'm looking at getting to fit the existing hole in the dash area, some come with circuit breakers ( mainly 15 amp), some come with blade fuses which can be changed to suit. This switch panel will be for all the boats lighting, Nav lights, cabin lights, led under gunnel lighting, anchor lights, led light on rocket launcher etc. Am I better to have a switch panel without fusing and run wiring to a separate fuse block ?.
I'm just collecting necessary remaining parts, switch panels etc and attempting to draw up my wiring diagram. The 15 amp reset type seem over kill for what they will be running, ie, 5 meters of Led strip lighting are recommended at 5 amp fusing, the other type of switch panel allows you to use what ever blade fuse is needed or the particular circuit, with access via the front panel. But as there will be another switch panel on the side away from the dash one, I was thinking it would make sense to have all the fuses in one central place.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLUE-SEA-50 ... 1438.l2649

Most of the switch panels on offer now seemed to be fused that I've seen, this the switch panel which is the perfect size for my existing hole in the dash.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blue-Sea-43 ... 1438.l2649

cheers in advance

Col

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Auto switch if your planning on doing over nights in it. Helps you sleep easier knowing if something does leak bilge will work.

And just use fuses back at fuse panel not ones on switch plates just extra spots water can get in and cause trouble

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:17 pm

mr plow wrote:Auto switch if your planning on doing over nights in it. Helps you sleep easier knowing if something does leak bilge will work.

And just use fuses back at fuse panel not ones on switch plates just extra spots water can get in and cause trouble
Cheers Jake, Yep that was the line I was thinking as well.........
I like the idea of having a manual switch for the Bilge as well if necessary.
Just starting to plan it all out at the minute.

Col

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Yeah definitely have a manual switch as well

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 pm

I prefer auto bilge pump.

I would always run inline fuses to eash peice of equipment before fuse pannel

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 am

blacklab99 wrote:Thanks Matt,
I've ended up at about 1.82 mtrs, floor to underside top bar. I just clear it. Lost an inch or two along the journey.
Floor was only 7 mm Masonite originally, and I recon they raised the stringer height to give clearance for the raised fuel sender on these plastic tanks, I told him I didn't want the one with the sender, obviously they used one with, plus thicker ply on floor. Interestingly also, specs say 770 internal free board, I'm sitting at 700mm. I seem to recall clearance of around 1.88 under launcher !!! I don't think I want to really think about this !
I'll live with the clearance, I clear it, so all deckies must be 6 ft or under or watch your head !!
Hmm

Col
Sounds like you wont be able to wear your stilettos on board :-D (might have to wrap the bar in some foam just in case)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 am

Blue seas gear is very good I am sure you will be happy.

Unless the boat is unattended I see no benefit to auto bilge pump. Most the Auto/manual to run in manual mode the button needs to be held in which is a pain in the arse.

I went back using a on off switch in the main panel and turn it on before bar crossings and when ever the weather gets a bit rough.

The pumps can run dry for many hrs without issue.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Mattblack wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Thanks Matt,
Hmm

Col
Sounds like you wont be able to wear your stilettos on board :-D (might have to wrap the bar in some foam just in case)
OH come on mate !
No one will see my heels from a distance, I'll just duck down :super:

Col

Return to “Boating”