Dura hubs

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Dura hubs

Post by Nude up » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 am

I was round at a mates place sat arvo his father in laws 90th birthday, I have never seen so many Zimmer frames,walking sticks and disabled stickers in one place before. The talk got around to fishing and his trip to Darwin. He normally goes twice a year and does charters however he recently bought a Barra boat and intends to tow it there himself.
Now my mate is bit mechanically challenged I showed him how to change his prop it had a ripper stainless one on but he he didn’t want to damage that one so he bought some cheap aluminium ones. He just had an anchor winch fitted apparently there are crocodiles where he fishes and he had the boat cover adusted to cover the bow spit.
So as we were looking at the work he had done he said he was going to get the wheel bearings done prior to his trip he bought the boat from a guy on the Gold Coast and he said they were done then. When I looked at the what I thought initially were bearing buddies were dura hubs oil filled. I have never had dura hubs my hubs have always been greased has anyone got dura hubs is it just gear oil or a special oil any issues with them.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Re: Dura hubs

Post by KeenAds » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I think its just regular gear oil but I have heard you can still use grease. I remember doing some research on them a while back for work.

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:23 pm

I like the idea but can't see how they provide the positive pressure that Buddies provide to keep water out when they suddenly change temp.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:00 pm

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Im comfused
You pack the bearings with grease.then use gear oil in the dura hubs?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm

If perfectly sealed you can use gear oil But as the seal is often not perfect it is suggested to use grease or a combination of both oil and grease.

Dura hubs have a sight window to check for water/moisture in the hub and a seal that helps balance pressure.

Seems like a good idea on paper but in real life the bearings were stuffed after 12 months. I rather bearing buddies, as I have found they keep the water out and bearings last for many years.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 am

Someone said when putting the rear seal on the axle spindle to put some silicone on it so when it shrinks and expands water can get it cos of the silicone.

Anyone heard of this before?

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 am

smile0784 wrote:Someone said when putting the rear seal on the axle spindle to put some silicone on it so when it shrinks and expands water can get it cos of the silicone.

Anyone heard of this before?
The rear seal spins on the axle spindle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm

if it's any help a guy I work for uses and swears by Dura hubs and has used bearing buddies in the past

seals - the std trailer seal that most trailers use work best to hold the oil in but water does go through them -- the seal most use for trailers are the marine sytle

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... ine/358167

as above normally weep a bit of oil but stop water better with these hubs - he says he just tops up the oil from time to time and lets them weep a bit

it's a shame there doesn't seam to be a good double lip seal that fits to seal in both directions
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Boating”