stripped marine screws

sputnik

Re: stripped marine screws

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 pm

adamk wrote:you try using a easyout ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWIk0DghB9c
i had antennas i had to do it to when i moved house
The screws are really stuck in there mate. What annoys me is the other three came out fine. its just two that are stuck solid so it has me scratching my head.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Sputnik, unless you can get stainless helicoils, I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t use regular helicoils, for rust and further binding reasons.
Soak some penetrine or wd40 or whatever you have overnight and attack it again fresh tomorrow.
Worst case scenario just drill out the stuck ones, can you rotate the pedestal as others have said so you don’t use the old holes ?

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:38 pm

sputnik wrote:
adamk wrote:you try using a easyout ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWIk0DghB9c
i had antennas i had to do it to when i moved house
The screws are really stuck in there mate. What annoys me is the other three came out fine. its just two that are stuck solid so it has me scratching my head.
prolly have to drill them out, dono if you could use tranny fluid to try an lube to easy out them. but future refrence 6 to 12 months remove screws an soak in tranny fluid or even vasaline to save dealing with that in the future. the problem is two different types of metal over time react.

anyway gl sorry i cant help much

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:20 am

sorry i didnt get back to ya mate...wasnt near a pc.

The way we get these out is normally with an impact driver and just work on it. We soak them in "rost off" which breaks up the salt and such around the bolt (but over a day or so) and then they can come out.
Or we drill the head off the screw and take the seat off...then grab it with some vice grips and slowly unwind it...

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:30 am

How did you go?

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Sat May 12, 2018 1:13 pm

repspec wrote:sorry i didnt get back to ya mate...wasnt near a pc.

The way we get these out is normally with an impact driver and just work on it. We soak them in "rost off" which breaks up the salt and such around the bolt (but over a day or so) and then they can come out.
Or we drill the head off the screw and take the seat off...then grab it with some vice grips and slowly unwind it...
Hey man thanks for the reply. I did end up getting them out by soaking with some wd-40 and hitting it with an impact driver. Now went to do it to the other seat post (Drivers chair) and ended up breaking one of the screw heads. :oops: so pulled off the ply and grabbed the rest of the head with a vice grip but got a little impatient and went to hard, broke the rest of the screw. So now i have a stuck screw broken flush with the metal of the hull. So i begun drilling with a cobalt tip which seemed to be working but then got the wise idea to hit it with an easy out to see if it would budge.

Ended up breaking the easy out in the screw so now im practically done for. All i can think of now is to either leave the seat post as is and use it missing one screw or getting a fabricator to remove the metal and re-weld a piece on with a screw hole tapped again.

Do you guys think it would be bad to use the seat with one bolt/screw missing? I have the rest in and it seems very sturdy but add the impact of waves and a 100kg guy slamming on it and that one screw might be the difference between a broken chair and a solid one. I will try upload pics of the mess i've made, atleast some humour can come from my misfortune.
Attachments
IMG_20180512_113233796.jpg
IMG_20180512_113229702.jpg
IMG_20180512_113050259.jpg
IMG_20180512_113005098.jpg
IMG_20180512_121700273.jpg

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat May 12, 2018 1:37 pm

punch it out with a punch, then use a slightly bigger screw to go in it's place?

Turn the base 10mm either way and re drill all new holes and use new screws?

Say stuff it, and just use it as is, I doubt it's going to matter, with 5 other screws.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Sat May 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Brett wrote:punch it out with a punch, then use a slightly bigger screw to go in it's place?

Turn the base 10mm either way and re drill all new holes and use new screws?

Say stuff it, and just use it as is, I doubt it's going to matter, with 5 other screws.
They are phillip head bolts so they actually have threads, not just self tapping. Therefore punching it out would be difficult. I might just leave it as is and if anything goes south ill just have to shift it 10mm and re drill.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun May 13, 2018 10:34 am

Let me just say sputnik - Your not alone (that Murphy bloke again).
Cheers Gra

Return to “Boating”