smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Trailer Modifications

Post by smile0784 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 am

Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:Having used the recovereasy and the l and r latch when launching alone I never took the chain off until the back of the boat was I the water. I would back the boat in remove the winch strap and the chain then climb in the boat a little bit of fwd thrust it would unlatch and I could drive off. When set to retrieve I would back the trailer in then get in the boat drive the boat on the trailer tillit latched then trim the engine up climb out put the safety chain on and then the winch strap drive off.
A normal roller drive on drive off trailer the boat if not secured was only going one way and that was off the trailer, the benefit of having a catch is it reduces the amount of climbing in and out of the boat when launching solo I used to back the boat in start the engine put it in forward gear climb out unhook the winch and safety chain climb back in the boat drive the boat off . Then the same to retrieve the boat.
This sounds like what I'll be doing (plus having a tailgate to stand on makes life a bit easier) Love to hear which one you'd prefer considering you've owned both!

You dont have to reverse back that far.
You should still be able to stand behind your car with dry feet. If you get your feet wet your trailer is probably too far back[/quote

I found some ramps a bit shallow at certain times of the tide due to the incline of the ramp, ie Rhyll at high tide. Having a second person and a latch allows them to release the boat with dry feet then back the boat in a bit further to launch
Recovereasy it is...cheers!
Launching is the easy bit, it's when I retrieve it I get wet as I can only pull the boat 1/2 way up the trailer with a rope, so you need to go nuts deep to hook the winch on. Rhyll is a testing ramp after a couple of beers and a cross wind... I don't think I'll ever launch there solo. I certainly wont be taking off the safety chain/winch strap until its ready to launch...especially at a ramp like Hastings, it's a good ramp, but it's very 'bouncy'.

Crib point isnt as bouncy and has quiet a decent angle on the ramp so driving in and off is easy

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 am

Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:i was going to suggest why dont you guys just go to the bow and hook the winch on like that, and then i realised you guys have cabins hahaha.
something like the above mentioned contraption is quite handy for those kind of situations.
Yep...if I could reach the front, I'd just use the thrust of the motor to hold the boat steady whilst I put the winch on/off....yet another disadvantage of a cabin!
yeah thats what i do, but i can walk all the way to the front of my boat.

if im launching alone.
i tie some rope off to the mooring on the pier from my boat and just back the boat into the water and tap on the brakes. then get out of car and tie up boat properly, park car and then proceed as normal.
(only works well if theres no other boats though, otherwise be prepared for a shitfight hahaha)

retrieve, i just tie up boat to the pier , back trailer really close to the ramp, drive boat onto it, hookup the chain and winch. then hop off onto the ramp (hence why i back trailer really close to the ramp) drive off and then tie down etc.

i have been caught out few times where ive had to use the middle lane ramp, and heres where having a wagon comes in handy. i got down the bow and onto the trailer, then opened the rear hatch of the wagon and crawled through into the front seat and drove off from there :-D

if i generally see people with kids or launching solo, i offer some assistance, however this one time husband and wife were retrieving their once a year use only cruiser and were absolutely struggling, they declined my offer. they were still there when i drove off working out what to do

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:i was going to suggest why dont you guys just go to the bow and hook the winch on like that, and then i realised you guys have cabins hahaha.
something like the above mentioned contraption is quite handy for those kind of situations.
Yep...if I could reach the front, I'd just use the thrust of the motor to hold the boat steady whilst I put the winch on/off....yet another disadvantage of a cabin!
yeah thats what i do, but i can walk all the way to the front of my boat.

if im launching alone.
i tie some rope off to the mooring on the pier from my boat and just back the boat into the water and tap on the brakes. then get out of car and tie up boat properly, park car and then proceed as normal.
(only works well if theres no other boats though, otherwise be prepared for a shitfight hahaha)

retrieve, i just tie up boat to the pier , back trailer really close to the ramp, drive boat onto it, hookup the chain and winch. then hop off onto the ramp (hence why i back trailer really close to the ramp) drive off and then tie down etc.

i have been caught out few times where ive had to use the middle lane ramp, and heres where having a wagon comes in handy. i got down the bow and onto the trailer, then opened the rear hatch of the wagon and crawled through into the front seat and drove off from there :-D

if i generally see people with kids or launching solo, i offer some assistance, however this one time husband and wife were retrieving their once a year use only cruiser and were absolutely struggling, they declined my offer. they were still there when i drove off working out what to do
Sounds awkward mate

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 am

What sort of boat do you have

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Stabicraft FIsher (it's actually pretty good to access through the folding windscreen & the spare tyre at the front of the trailer makes a good stepping ladder)

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:49 pm

Nice boat.
You should be able to drive on fairly easy and hook upto the recoverezy then turn your motor off and trim it up and then climb around the side and over the front hook up the chain and drive out

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:28 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
This sounds like what I'll be doing (plus having a tailgate to stand on makes life a bit easier) Love to hear which one you'd prefer considering you've owned both!

You dont have to reverse back that far.
You should still be able to stand behind your car with dry feet. If you get your feet wet your trailer is probably too far back[/quote

I found some ramps a bit shallow at certain times of the tide due to the incline of the ramp, ie Rhyll at high tide. Having a second person and a latch allows them to release the boat with dry feet then back the boat in a bit further to launch
Recovereasy it is...cheers!
Launching is the easy bit, it's when I retrieve it I get wet as I can only pull the boat 1/2 way up the trailer with a rope, so you need to go nuts deep to hook the winch on. Rhyll is a testing ramp after a couple of beers and a cross wind... I don't think I'll ever launch there solo. I certainly wont be taking off the safety chain/winch strap until its ready to launch...especially at a ramp like Hastings, it's a good ramp, but it's very 'bouncy'.

Crib point isnt as bouncy and has quiet a decent angle on the ramp so driving in and off is easy
Stony Point. Crib point is a very very shallow sand ramp only useable at high tide for kayaks and tinnies

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Really. I always find boats upto 6 mt launching there upto 2 hours before low time and i even seem tri axle trailers in the car park.
I even think there is a 8mt trailerable charter boat launches from there.
I have been launching there for years with the commadoor with 5.2 mt quinnie and now the 5.7mt trailcraft and only span the wheels once on low tide slime and when i launch and retrieve i drive on and off and can always get off the front of the trailer with dry feet.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:26 pm

That's stony point. The one with the bloke manning the gate.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 pm

cobby wrote:That's stony point. The one with the bloke manning the gate.
yeah he got me with that one before as well
smiley refers to stony point ramp as cribb point ramp for some reason :rofl:

Return to “Boating”