Trailer Modifications

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Trailer Modifications

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 am

Hi All,
Getting a bit jealous of watching people launch & retrieve their boats like an efficient SWAT team whilst I'm juggling ropes and slipping about in bare feet & rolled up pants.
From reading previous posts (apart from using the thrust of engaged outboard) it sounds like there are 2 popular options to achieve a quick and dry launch/retrieval, a "Boatcatch" and a 'L&R Boat Latch'.
I'd appreciate any feedback on either of these (ease of installation and use) and also if I will require a self centering device like one of the attached photos.
easyglide.png
easyglide.png (70.32 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
self_centering_roller.jpg

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Trailer Modifications

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:35 am

Check out recoverezy $120 works great very simple. I fitted a easy glide to my first boat a 4.8 halfcab helped me winch the boat on straight when I used to fish with my daughter when she was little worked well but never drove the boat on back then.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 am

is your trailer a drive on trailer? if it isn't then none of these things will help really.
and if it already is drive on, then why arent you doing it that way?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 am

Matt those items are not much use and they certainly wont help keep you dry if you are winching on.

Boat Catch ect are only helpful when driving on, ie zero value when winching on.

What method are you using now?

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am

99% of the time I launch solo, so I'm pushing it off and using a rope to guide it around once it's in the water. If I have someone with me, I can drive it up the trailer to the winch post, but sometimes it doesn't quite go on straight and I have to back down and line it up again. Would a centering roller sort this issue out?
I have a Dunbier R5.OM-13B trailer
Dunbier R5_0M-13B.jpg

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 am

Uncle has that blue roller , spring loaded thing, when the spring broke, damage the underside of the boat.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 am

Nude up wrote:Check out recoverezy $120 works great very simple. I fitted a easy glide to my first boat a 4.8 halfcab helped me winch the boat on straight when I used to fish with my daughter when she was little worked well but never drove the boat on back then.
Those recovereasy's look pretty good (more often than not it's the simple things that work the best)...looks pretty simple to install as well.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 am

Depends if you want to Launch and retrieve or just retrieve

I only have an L & R boat latch because it was on the boat when I got it. But I'm glad it is, makes everything a bit easier. Having said that I never really fish solo, so the time it broke and I hadn't had time to fix it (spring wore out) I would just drive the boat forward while a mate unhooks. Same on retrieve, drive on and clip it up.
But the L & R system will allow you to actually pull the boat up the ramp a little so you can latch it up with out getting wet feet. There are videos on youtube which demonstrate how they work pretty effectively.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am

Mattblack wrote:99% of the time I launch solo, so I'm pushing it off and using a rope to guide it around once it's in the water. If I have someone with me, I can drive it up the trailer to the winch post, but sometimes it doesn't quite go on straight and I have to back down and line it up again. Would a centering roller sort this issue out?
I have a Dunbier R5.OM-13B trailer
Sounds like it could be a trailer setup issue or depth issue.

My guess is you are sometimes putting the trailer too deep in the water for retrieval.

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 am

i recon the boat catch is well worth it. i added a couple of teflon blocks angled to the center of the trailer to help keep it centered and just make sure boats not in to deep else it will float off rollers. i dont like the boat latch seen too many boats end up on the concrete. i launch 50% of the time with just my 5year old son and its easy as

Return to “Boating”