Trailer Modifications

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Trailer Modifications

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:26 pm

mr plow wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
mr plow wrote:
frozenpod wrote:You still need to remove the winch strap and chain when the boat hits the water with Boat Catch.

They are not fail proof and you always need the fail safe back up ie chain.
sorry mate but i disagree with boat catch you can disconnect both chain and strap befoe backing down ramp and also drive back up from the ramp to tie down area without outting chain and strap on.
You can but to ensure to 100% safety best to unhook and hook up boat while in the watet just incase you hit a bump
nah mate cant un hook. even on website it says to un hook be4 backing down.
It mite say it but if there is a incident im sure they wont pay for your repairs

https://www.boatlatch.com/safety.htm
Go to slide 3

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:48 pm

thats boat latch mate not boat catch different systems

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Having used the recovereasy and the l and r latch when launching alone I never took the chain off until the back of the boat was I the water. I would back the boat in remove the winch strap and the chain then climb in the boat a little bit of fwd thrust it would unlatch and I could drive off. When set to retrieve I would back the trailer in then get in the boat drive the boat on the trailer tillit latched then trim the engine up climb out put the safety chain on and then the winch strap drive off.
A normal roller drive on drive off trailer the boat if not secured was only going one way and that was off the trailer, the benefit of having a catch is it reduces the amount of climbing in and out of the boat when launching solo I used to back the boat in start the engine put it in forward gear climb out unhook the winch and safety chain climb back in the boat drive the boat off . Then the same to retrieve the boat.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Well said mate
Practically what i do.
Even when i have someone with me i reverse in, set up the boat latch unhook the chain and winch and climb in the start the boat drive forward, roll off trailer and my mare moves the car.
Last edited by smile0784 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Nude up wrote:Having used the recovereasy and the l and r latch when launching alone I never took the chain off until the back of the boat was I the water. I would back the boat in remove the winch strap and the chain then climb in the boat a little bit of fwd thrust it would unlatch and I could drive off. When set to retrieve I would back the trailer in then get in the boat drive the boat on the trailer tillit latched then trim the engine up climb out put the safety chain on and then the winch strap drive off.
A normal roller drive on drive off trailer the boat if not secured was only going one way and that was off the trailer, the benefit of having a catch is it reduces the amount of climbing in and out of the boat when launching solo I used to back the boat in start the engine put it in forward gear climb out unhook the winch and safety chain climb back in the boat drive the boat off . Then the same to retrieve the boat.
This sounds like what I'll be doing (plus having a tailgate to stand on makes life a bit easier) Love to hear which one you'd prefer considering you've owned both!

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:Having used the recovereasy and the l and r latch when launching alone I never took the chain off until the back of the boat was I the water. I would back the boat in remove the winch strap and the chain then climb in the boat a little bit of fwd thrust it would unlatch and I could drive off. When set to retrieve I would back the trailer in then get in the boat drive the boat on the trailer tillit latched then trim the engine up climb out put the safety chain on and then the winch strap drive off.
This sounds like what I'll be doing (plus having a tailgate to stand on makes life a bit easier) Love to hear which one you'd prefer considering you've owned both!
You dont have to reverse back that far.
You should still be able to stand behind your car with dry feet. If you get your feet wet your trailer is probably too far back

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Mattblack wrote:
To be honest I preferred the recovereazy for its simplicity the l and r can bend he added a strengthening block later.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

You dont have to reverse back that far.
You should still be able to stand behind your car with dry feet. If you get your feet wet your trailer is probably too far back[/quote

I found some ramps a bit shallow at certain times of the tide due to the incline of the ramp, ie Rhyll at high tide. Having a second person and a latch allows them to release the boat with dry feet then back the boat in a bit further to launch

Thetunaslayer

Post by Thetunaslayer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Sounds like the more you practise the better you become.just like fishing.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 pm

That’s right mate :thumbsup: with a good set up it doesn’t take too long to learn.

Return to “Boating”