Trailer Modifications

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Trailer Modifications

Post by smile0784 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:06 am

Nude up wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:Having used the recovereasy and the l and r latch when launching alone I never took the chain off until the back of the boat was I the water. I would back the boat in remove the winch strap and the chain then climb in the boat a little bit of fwd thrust it would unlatch and I could drive off. When set to retrieve I would back the trailer in then get in the boat drive the boat on the trailer tillit latched then trim the engine up climb out put the safety chain on and then the winch strap drive off.
A normal roller drive on drive off trailer the boat if not secured was only going one way and that was off the trailer, the benefit of having a catch is it reduces the amount of climbing in and out of the boat when launching solo I used to back the boat in start the engine put it in forward gear climb out unhook the winch and safety chain climb back in the boat drive the boat off . Then the same to retrieve the boat.
This sounds like what I'll be doing (plus having a tailgate to stand on makes life a bit easier) Love to hear which one you'd prefer considering you've owned both!
To be honest I preferred the recovereazy for its simplicity the l and r can bend he added a strengthening block later.
Which bit bends?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 am

Nude up wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Nude up wrote:Having used the recovereasy and the l and r latch when launching alone I never took the chain off until the back of the boat was I the water. I would back the boat in remove the winch strap and the chain then climb in the boat a little bit of fwd thrust it would unlatch and I could drive off. When set to retrieve I would back the trailer in then get in the boat drive the boat on the trailer tillit latched then trim the engine up climb out put the safety chain on and then the winch strap drive off.
A normal roller drive on drive off trailer the boat if not secured was only going one way and that was off the trailer, the benefit of having a catch is it reduces the amount of climbing in and out of the boat when launching solo I used to back the boat in start the engine put it in forward gear climb out unhook the winch and safety chain climb back in the boat drive the boat off . Then the same to retrieve the boat.
This sounds like what I'll be doing (plus having a tailgate to stand on makes life a bit easier) Love to hear which one you'd prefer considering you've owned both!

You dont have to reverse back that far.
You should still be able to stand behind your car with dry feet. If you get your feet wet your trailer is probably too far back[/quote

I found some ramps a bit shallow at certain times of the tide due to the incline of the ramp, ie Rhyll at high tide. Having a second person and a latch allows them to release the boat with dry feet then back the boat in a bit further to launch
Recovereasy it is...cheers!
Launching is the easy bit, it's when I retrieve it I get wet as I can only pull the boat 1/2 way up the trailer with a rope, so you need to go nuts deep to hook the winch on. Rhyll is a testing ramp after a couple of beers and a cross wind... I don't think I'll ever launch there solo. I certainly wont be taking off the safety chain/winch strap until its ready to launch...especially at a ramp like Hastings, it's a good ramp, but it's very 'bouncy'.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 am

smile0784 wrote:
Nude up wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
To be honest I preferred the recovereazy for its simplicity the l and r can bend he added a strengthening block later.
Which bit bends?
I will post a picture later easier than trying to explain

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 am

i was going to suggest why dont you guys just go to the bow and hook the winch on like that, and then i realised you guys have cabins hahaha.
something like the above mentioned contraption is quite handy for those kind of situations.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:14 am

Mattblack wrote: Recovereasy it is...cheers!
Launching is the easy bit, it's when I retrieve it I get wet as I can only pull the boat 1/2 way up the trailer with a rope, so you need to go nuts deep to hook the winch on. Rhyll is a testing ramp after a couple of beers and a cross wind... I don't think I'll ever launch there solo. I certainly wont be taking off the safety chain/winch strap until its ready to launch...especially at a ramp like Hastings, it's a good ramp, but it's very 'bouncy'.

"Nuts deep" does sound like you are way too deep in the water.

For winching on there are two solutions to avoid getting wet.

Plank on the trailer so you walk on the trailer to attach the winch strap.

Waders, the thigh height ones are more than enough.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:15 am

purple5ive wrote:i was going to suggest why dont you guys just go to the bow and hook the winch on like that, and then i realised you guys have cabins hahaha.
something like the above mentioned contraption is quite handy for those kind of situations.
You can still do that with a cabin.

It is more a case of how long your arms are and how far the hook is.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:32 am

frozenpod wrote:

Nuts deep for me is about knee depth....they start to sag when you get old. I do sometimes balance on the trailer, but it gets slippery (no mesh or planks on mine)

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:38 am

purple5ive wrote:i was going to suggest why dont you guys just go to the bow and hook the winch on like that, and then i realised you guys have cabins hahaha.
Yep...if I could reach the front, I'd just use the thrust of the motor to hold the boat steady whilst I put the winch on/off....yet another disadvantage of a cabin!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 am

Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:

Nuts deep for me is about knee depth....they start to sag when you get old. I do sometimes balance on the trailer, but it gets slippery (no mesh or planks on mine)

ahahahah.
but seriously, get some non slip tape from bunnings and put them on the trailer at least
i think for your solution a good boat catch is going to be a life saver. but then again you will still get wet (pending how close you get the trailer to the ramp) because if you are retrieving solo you still need to get out and drive the car back up the ramp.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:

ahahahah.
but seriously, get some non slip tape from bunnings and put them on the trailer at least
i think for your solution a good boat catch is going to be a life saver. but then again you will still get wet (pending how close you get the trailer to the ramp) because if you are retrieving solo you still need to get out and drive the car back up the ramp.
I think it's a must for me...getting wet isn't that bad, it's manoeuvring the thing around using a rope which is a PITA. You have to worry about which lane you chose, jetty access, other boats. Hasn't been an issue until recently, now it seems I'm launching solo most of the time as my 6 year old has become my #1 deckie. Grip tape is a brilliant idea and I'll be putting some of that on as well :thumbsup:

Return to “Boating”