Should these be patched or repaired?

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Should these be patched or repaired?

Post by sturgeon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Found this damage on the keel today. Dont even know how that happened. Dont remember hitting metal during loading either. In any case, its down to the black. Does it need to be fixed to avoid problems or is that OK to leave alone?
Keel Scratch.jpg
Keel scratch
The second photo is result of contact with dry wall. :-(
No major issues except for what you see. Do I need to patch that or fix that? Would it cause water leakage into the fiberglass underneath if I do not do anything? If fixed, what DIY fix would you suggest? Thanks all.
Rear end cap.jpg
Rear end cap

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Should these be patched or repaired?

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 pm

You can get fiberglass patch just too keep it looking pretty

http://www.findsports.com.au/p/ocean-ea ... jsQAvD_BwE

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:02 pm

It looks like it's just cracked/scratched through the gel coat. A bit of epoxy with some glass microbead filler should do it. Depends how perfect of a finish you're after as to how much you put into finishing it off.

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:09 pm

smile0784 wrote:You can get fiberglass patch just too keep it looking pretty

Thanks. How easy or difficult is it to do?

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Working with fibreglass daily, I’d recommend that if you wanted to fix it up to grab some fibreglass sheets and some gel coat. Make sure the fibreglass is 10mm or so over the whole section to ensure it has some strength and you roll it out to get the air bubbles out, don’t be afraid to throw a couple sheets on it as it can be sanded back to be level and then you can gel coat it. Fibreglass will need to be scuffed up for gel coat to stick, just as a tip so you don’t glass it then try paint it. Be careful of making a hot mix of resin and gel coat because it can set pretty quickly and reach temps of 140oC plus it’ll melt plastic..

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:22 pm

sturgeon wrote:

It’s pretty easy to work with, just make sure you roll it out and don’t let it sit in resin for too long or it starts to fall apart..

With a paint roller and a board of wood, roll some resin on the board and put a sheet over it then roll some more resin on the top of the sheet till it’s all wet, try not to use too much resin as it will drip but you can put a wax down that will make it easier to remove from where you don’t want it too be. Then apply the fibreglass to the area and roll it out with a little metal roller and push the air bubbles out, don’t need to push too hard. Fibreglass will stretch as well so a 30mm piece can turn into a 35-40mm piece. If you want to do two or three layers, make sure the bottom sheet is a bit smaller then the one you put on next, you can do the above mentioned about the resin and covering the glass with resin. Put another sheet on top so they’re together instead of one by one, but put the biggest piece down first and flip it when applying it. Hopefully that helps.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:20 pm

sturgeon wrote:

I never had to do it but I pa used it on his old boat.
I think it just be the simular to 2 part car filler which is easy to do when had to fix a few dints in old car.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Working with fibreglass daily, I’d recommend that if you wanted to fix it up to grab some fibreglass sheets and some gel coat. Make sure the fibreglass is 10mm or so over the whole section to ensure it has some strength and you roll it out to get the air bubbles out, don’t be afraid to throw a couple sheets on it as it can be sanded back to be level and then you can gel coat it. Fibreglass will need to be scuffed up for gel coat to stick, just as a tip so you don’t glass it then try paint it. Be careful of making a hot mix of resin and gel coat because it can set pretty quickly and reach temps of 140oC plus it’ll melt plastic..

Can you still buy fiberglass tape or wouldnt recommended it in this case?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 pm

In the past that type of damage we have just used a gel coat repair kit then sanded back. If you don't seal it eventually water will damage the polyester resin

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:29 pm

smile0784 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Working with fibreglass daily, I’d recommend that if you wanted to fix it up to grab some fibreglass sheets and some gel coat. Make sure the fibreglass is 10mm or so over the whole section to ensure it has some strength and you roll it out to get the air bubbles out, don’t be afraid to throw a couple sheets on it as it can be sanded back to be level and then you can gel coat it. Fibreglass will need to be scuffed up for gel coat to stick, just as a tip so you don’t glass it then try paint it. Be careful of making a hot mix of resin and gel coat because it can set pretty quickly and reach temps of 140oC plus it’ll melt plastic..

Can you still buy fiberglass tape or wouldnt recommended it in this case?
I’m not sure if you can still buy it. I’d probably recommend to do it with sheets as you’d have piece of mind it’s going to hold better and keep out any moisture.

Return to “Boating”