Some Boat Launch & Retrieve Training

skouta

Some Boat Launch & Retrieve Training

Post by skouta » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is someone who provides a couple of hours Launch & Retrieve Training .

I am rusty and think I could benefit from this. I will be using Patterson Lakes Ramp to launch from so I would prefer some training on my boat at this ramp. I only have a 4.3M Aluminium.

So was wondering if there is this service out there.
"I only caught one - the rest surrendered"

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Some Boat Launch & Retrieve Training

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Not sure if there is anyone who does that except the actual people who sell the mechanism and they will shi you as a demo.
U tube works well and just practice

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

What are you wanting to learn in particular. Is it to drive on / off or just using the winch. With your type of boat winching is pretty easy.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Exactly what are you wanting to learn? If it’s reversing the boat I’d say practice some where quite other than a boat ramp so you don’t get stressed if others turn up.
If it’s just practicing putting the boat on and off just head to the ramp when it’s not busy with a mate and get some help putting it on and off a few times till your confident. Remember take your time. When you rush things thats when something will go wrong.

skouta

Post by skouta » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:50 pm

More the drive on and off

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:27 pm

skouta wrote:More the drive on and off
I dont think there are private boat driving tutor company out there that will practice on your boat.
I cant find anything on Google atm.

Could offer to take someone fishing and they could show you a few pointers and give you tips from there experience.
Or meet them at the ramp when they come back from fishing they can spend 15 mins with you etc.

But biggest thing is to watch and learn so you could go watch people down at the ramps and see how the good, bad and the ugly do it.

Is yours a open tinnie or run about?
Where are the controls mounted?
Last edited by smile0784 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 pm

I am not sure if Charlie is still doing it but he used to take people out on their own boats. No idea what it is like.

https://www.savageseasadventures.com.au/

If I was you, sit yourself down on the table and chair next to ramp 2 at Patto. I will learn everything you need to learn in a few hours by watching the good and the bad. Keep an eye on the guys who go fishing by themselves. If you retrieve from ramp 1 or 2, have a look at how the water is running and also take notice of the wind. If the water is rushing in with an onshore, start your approach and head to your RH mudguard and then let the water bring you back centre. Biggest mistake I see is people try to get up in one motion.....have enough speed to get the boat about halfway up and if you are off centre, dont worry, just get the nose between the 1st couple of rollers. Once you are there, apply a little throttle and turn the wheel to straighten up, once straight, apply a bit more power. You just have to get that right balance of speed so you are going fast enough so the tide/wind doesn't take you too far but not too fast that you bang the crap out of the boat and cannot stop if you get it wrong. If you need to hit reverse to straighten up.....just abort completely. If it is really windy, I will come in slightly faster and hit reverse just before the trailer just take some speed off. I will also angle the trailer on days where the wind has really picked up so the bow of the boat points slightly into the wind. it looks like you cant back a trailer but it makes its easier to retrieve as the trailer is then in line with the direction of the boat because of the wind.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

skouta

Post by skouta » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks for the advice and tips.

Deano66

Post by Deano66 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Skouta. Check out Victorian Boat training website. It looks like they run boat handling courses in your own boat.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Plenty of practice mate :thumbsup:

Return to “Boating”