crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Safety Equipment

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:37 pm

bowl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 pm
crumpet_avenger wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm
Fire extinguisher and a waterproof torch are also a must...
Years ago i thought a dolphin torch would be adequate but the water police told me otherwise. Didnt get a fine, just a warning. They said it must be waterproof. I also have a fire blanket just incase
I have dolphin torch...last few times the water police said it was fine..
Maybe I got him on A bad day... Never bothered to try my luck and got a waterproof 1

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:18 am

smile0784 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:43 pm
Just check expiry date before you buy then
I’ll rephrase that...where is the best place to buy flares (high turnover, best price etc)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:57 am

I hate to think how many sets of flares I have purchased over the years I always check the expiry dates when purchasing and the retailers have always discounted the price varying amounts depending on the expiry date. On a side note my epirb has expired when I get home from Sydney in July I will be buying a gps enabled epirb.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:28 am

Nude up wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:57 am
I hate to think how many sets of flares I have purchased over the years I always check the expiry dates when purchasing and the retailers have always discounted the price varying amounts depending on the expiry date. On a side note my epirb has expired when I get home from Sydney in July I will be buying a gps enabled epirb.
That’s the answer I was hoping for...good to have you back!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:04 pm

I hate to imagine the amount of flares and epirbs I bought of the years and never used lol

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:55 pm

We have had dolphin torches in the boat for 30 years and never had any problems with the police etc.

I dont have an EPIRB but i will be looking in to it now that we are venturing quite far into the middle of the bay and in the dark with the new boat. I am also planning on upgrading from a fixed 27MHz to a waterproof handheld VHF. If you have ever felt how cold the water is in the bay then you will know that if you end up in it you want any bit of gear you can get your hands on to get out out as fast as possible.

Too many people have underestimated the potential dangers of PPB and paid the price. I dont plan on being one of them.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:04 pm
I hate to imagine the amount of flares and epirbs I bought of the years and never used lol
So do I, smile.

When I was in my mid 20s, a mate and I were moaning about having to replace flares every third year. My Dad pipes up and said "Better to update your Flares every three years, than have to replace them after 2". We knew straight away what he meant , , , , better to update every three years (without incident) rather than be in an emergency where you need to use them.

Still stings though :(

Cheers, Bugatti
Happy to have unused Flares and EPIRB

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:15 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:55 pm

I am also planning on upgrading from a fixed 27MHz to a waterproof handheld VHF.
G'day Steveo.

The 27MHz is definitely a radio to keep. Still update to the better system of VHF but still also keep the 27 Meg, if you can. Not sure in VIC but here in SA, heaps of Boaties use 27 meg. You never know, sometimes your helping hand is the boat next to you who may only be on 27Meg.

Cheers, Bugatti.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:36 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:55 pm
We have had dolphin torches in the boat for 30 years and never had any problems with the police etc.

I dont have an EPIRB but i will be looking in to it now that we are venturing quite far into the middle of the bay and in the dark with the new boat. I am also planning on upgrading from a fixed 27MHz to a waterproof handheld VHF. If you have ever felt how cold the water is in the bay then you will know that if you end up in it you want any bit of gear you can get your hands on to get out out as fast as possible.

Too many people have underestimated the potential dangers of PPB and paid the price. I dont plan on being one of them.
Same here I have 2 dolphin torches and never been pulled up for them.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 pm

All boils down to common sense , , , , and unfortunately the Officers temperament (I am being Diplomatic :tongue: )

On the Dolphin Torches:

Dolphin Torch.PNG

They are advertised as waterproof and they float AND a few other things too. An Officer would really have to justify it if he/she didn't accept a Dolphin Torch as acceptable. Especially if it went to court hence a letter to contest would in my opinion be successful.

Bailing Bucket/Fire Bucket:

Bailers.PNG

Here in SA, a few years back the required water "Bailer" and "Fire Bucket" was spotlighted as an issue. Guys were getting done left right and centre , , , , the rules were that interpretive , , , , it was very confusing and at times a feeling of being hard done by. For some, who had a Bailer and/or a Fire Bucket that they thought was appropriate, were done due to harsh interpretations of the rules.

A Befuddling point was you were scrutinised on the type of Bailer or Fire Bucket , , , , BUT didn't need two buckets as one can work as the other , , , , so if you are sinking AND have a fire , , , , which emergency do you use the bucket for.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Boating”