Max Load / Max persons

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Max Load / Max persons

Post by Persistence » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 am

Hi
I've sent this question to Maritime Vic but have not heard anything back from them but just wanted to see if anyone knew the answer. Or if you could point me to another authority to ask.

I would like to know if I have a boat that says max 4 persons / max load 500kg and I have myself my wife and 3 small children which would be well under 500kg would that be considered over loaded? Total person load comes to just over 250kg.
Obviously all appropriate fitting safety equipment, lifejackets etc taken into consideration as well as the weight of any cargo.
Anybody have any experience with this? Cheers.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Max Load / Max persons

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 pm

I was told by the dealer to go by the max load weight figure & the max persons figure is just a guide....makes sense considering one large person could weigh as much as 3 normal people....then again, you wouldn't take out 20 kids even if they weighed less than 500kg combined... Its just common sense. If its choppy you don't want a fully loaded boat either. Cant remember my max load weight, but it has a recommended 5 adults max & I only have 4 seats.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Mattblack wrote:I was told by the dealer to go by the max load weight figure & the max persons figure is just a guide....makes sense considering one large person could weigh as much as 3 normal people....then again, you wouldn't take out 20 kids even if they weighed less than 500kg combined... Its just common sense. If its choppy you don't want a fully loaded boat either. Cant remember my max load weight, but it has a recommended 5 adults max & I only have 4 seats.
Well said Matt

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Texas wrote:
Mattblack wrote:I was told by the dealer to go by the max load weight figure & the max persons figure is just a guide....makes sense considering one large person could weigh as much as 3 normal people....then again, you wouldn't take out 20 kids even if they weighed less than 500kg combined... Its just common sense. If its choppy you don't want a fully loaded boat either. Cant remember my max load weight, but it has a recommended 5 adults max & I only have 4 seats.
Well said Matt
Thanks Tex...thought I was going to get hammered for that one (not to sure what your meant to call fat people in this age of political correctness)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Does is also say 4 people in calm conditions?
Leavimg judgement upto the skipper

If by memoery dont that count a person as 100kg including gear

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I always giggle about this in elevators. Maximum load 722kg or 11 people........ 11 people my a**!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 pm

DougieK wrote:I always giggle about this in elevators. Maximum load 722kg or 11 people........ 11 people my a**!
I just had a vision of 11 Sumo Wrestlers in an elevator :) cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Interestingly my boat has a placard stating 4 pax offshore and 6 in enclosed waters

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:51 pm

DougieK wrote:I always giggle about this in elevators. Maximum load 722kg or 11 people........ 11 people my a**!
when I was in Japan on a work technical course. 4 of us Aussies stepped into an elevator. Sign said 8 people. Pushed the up button and it just sat there beeping and the overload light flashing. I think it meant 8 40kg japs not 8 90kg Aussies.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've been boating recreationally for 40 years and in a commercial capacity for a few years as well and have always looked at those
placards and wondered but it wasn't till the other day when I was thinking of taking some kids out that I wondered if the police would pull me up on it. I would obviously take all factors into account, weather, conditions, and the passengers themselves.

Got a email back from Maritime Vic saying they were actually not certain themselves and have elevated the question higher up.
We will see.

Return to “Boating”