?? fuel issue on low revs

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: ?? fuel issue on low revs

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:36 am

Paulanderson wrote:This a typical inline fuel filter Some of them have a glass bowl at the base so you can see if there is water in the fuel and so you can drain it off. Some are just all metal though. Its a bit hard to tell from your pic but that could be a fuel filter.
What i have is a water separaor according to the code on it.

https://www.amazon.com/35-802893Q01-Sep ... B001HBX3IC

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 am

Ok so far looked at fuel lines while running. No leaks.
But worse thing i can see is old age or muck to lines
2018-01-13 09.55.08.jpg
Worse part near hose clamp
2018-01-13 10.00.39.jpg

Took the spark plugs out
2018-01-13 10.04.19.jpg
So going to replace spark plugs and fuel separater

Unsure how to change the fuel line over since cant get to the tank unless i put a join in the line after it comes up from under the hull
2018-01-13 10.09.06.jpg

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 am

Let me guess. You listened to your own advice?

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=19398
smile0784 wrote:
ducky wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Could let the 8 liters sit for a while akd then try and seperate it again.
Could then put it back threw the boat with new petrol and the fuel filter should take the rest of the water out
Be careful there smile. People might think that’s a serious suggestion.

It’s not 2 litres of water that’s gotten into a 1000litre tank. We are talking about $9.80 worth of petrol here.

Who in there right mind would consider going out on the water with fuel they had siphoned the water out of?

Absolutely ludicrous.
Good point just tose it all and start t
Fresh

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 am

Plug, electrode and thread, looks like it is saturated in fuel - Possibly running too rich. Were plugs "tight" when installed, fuel on thread uncommon. Google "Tuning Fuel Mixture" for the make and horse power of the motor you have. Review information before you do anything. Might be time for an engine Service. Explain problem/s to those doing service, they should be able to sort out for you.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 am

ducky wrote:Let me guess. You listened to your own advice?

Lol your hilarious.
Did i ever say i put old fuel back in the boat.
No i didint.

To refresh your memory i said tried to use up the old fuel in the tank before i added new fuel.

smile0784 wrote:
ducky wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Could let the 8 liters sit for a while akd then try and seperate it again.
Could then put it back threw the boat with new petrol and the fuel filter should take the rest of the water out

It’s not 2 litres of water that’s gotten into a 1000litre tank. We are talking about $9.80 worth of petrol here.

Who in there right mind would consider going out on the water with fuel they had siphoned the water out of?

Absolutely ludicrous.
Fresh

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 am

ducky wrote:Let me guess. You listened to your own advice?

smile0784 wrote:
ducky wrote:

Absolutely ludicrous.
Fresh
Must’ve. Those bricks don’t look charred so I guess he didn’t follow yours
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am

russellh2 wrote:Plug, electrode and thread, looks like it is saturated in fuel - Possibly running too rich. Were plugs "tight" when installed, fuel on thread uncommon. Google "Tuning Fuel Mixture" for the make and horse power of the motor you have. Review information before you do anything. Might be time for an engine Service. Explain problem/s to those doing service, they should be able to sort out for you.
I dont know it they were tight when installed but had a good bite to get then loose then come out with fingers.

I hand mix the oil in when fillinh boat up.
Normally 50lt in at a time so i add 1lt of oil.

I could be adding too much oil sometimes.

Ill look ip fuel mixture
Thanks for suggesting

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am

Smile, the water separator is also a fuel filter, the water just settles to the bottom due to its design. They can only hold/separate so much water before they no longer separate the water and start to pass it through. If you you've had water In Fuel issues before then definitely change this (should be part of regular servicing anyhow). Once removed, pour it into a glass container and see if there is fuel and water in it. When looking for leaks in the fuel line you are usually looking for air getting sucked into the lines rather than fuel being leaked out as the lines are under vacuum from the fuel pump (being sucked by the motor, not pushed by a pump in the tank). This is obviously harder to find and why I suggested trying a completely different tank and lines to help isolate the issues. Any visible cracks in fuel lines are indicative of it being time to replace them. If they aren't failing already they will eventually and it's better to do this before it causes issues on the water.

Again, fuel lines may or may not be the issue, so start with simple, easy, cheap things. Like filters and plugs. Then continue to try and isolate the problem by trial and error by swapping out parts of the system to see if your issues go away, then you can narrow down the likely source of the problem.

There are a hundred things that could be the issue but rather then test/replace each one it's cheaper/faster/smarter to narrow it down first and focus on the area that your tests indicate is likely the cause. A different tank with different lines and known good fuel that is properly mixed will help you isolate the problem down to your fuel/fuel delivery system or something under the cowling.

Cheers mate and good luck with your investigations.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 am

Have you considered getting a mechanic who actually knows what they’re doing to fix it? If you’re heading offshore soon it might be best to give the backyard job a miss and have a professional do it
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am

skronkman wrote:Smile, the water separator is also a fuel filter, the water just settles to the bottom due to its design. They can only hold/separate so much water before they no longer separate the water and start to pass it through. If you you've had water In Fuel issues before then definitely change this (should be part of regular servicing anyhow). Once removed, pour it into a glass container and see if there is fuel and water in it. When looking for leaks in the fuel line you are usually looking for air getting sucked into the lines rather than fuel being leaked out as the lines are under vacuum from the fuel pump (being sucked by the motor, not pushed by a pump in the tank). This is obviously harder to find and why I suggested trying a completely different tank and lines to help isolate the issues. Any visible cracks in fuel lines are indicative of it being time to replace them. If they aren't failing already they will eventually and it's better to do this before it causes issues on the water.

Again, fuel lines may or may not be the issue, so start with simple, easy, cheap things. Like filters and plugs. Then continue to try and isolate the problem by trial and error by swapping out parts of the system to see if your issues go away, then you can narrow down the likely source of the problem.

There are a hundred things that could be the issue but rather then test/replace each one it's cheaper/faster/smarter to narrow it down first and focus on the area that your tests indicate is likely the cause. A different tank with different lines and known good fuel that is properly mixed will help you isolate the problem down to your fuel/fuel delivery system or something under the cowling.

Cheers mate and good luck with your investigations.
As far as i know i never had water in the fuel in this boat but thought i would change it to cover this base.
So ill poor the old fuel out when i change it to see if there is much water in the mix.

Im starting to investigate things my self to learn more about the motor.
If its a simple fix like changing the plugs or changing the fuel bulb or fuel separate etc like to be able to do it myself but otherwise ill take it to get fixed my a mechanic but im able to give him a idea of whats going on.

Return to “Boating”