Boat and Car Combo?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Boat and Car Combo?

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 pm

I have spoken with many people about towing and not too many know the rules for Victoria it is very easy vic roads have all the info you need to be compliant. It is too late when you have an accident and find your car insurance will not cover your or the other persons cost.
I had to buy another vehicle because my boat was very close to being illegal to tow ie prado haines 650.
The other thing people do not understand when towing is gross vehicle mass when towing,combined weight of car and what is being towed as stipulated by the car manufacturer. As I stated earlier vic roads have all the info you need.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 am

EDITED Wolly

Did you ever think that the guy at vic roads pass the trailer when i registered it.
Nothing further to be said
Last edited by smile0784 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am

Nude up wrote:I have spoken with many people about towing and not too many know the rules for Victoria it is very easy vic roads have all the info you need to be compliant. It is too late when you have an accident and find your car insurance will not cover your or the other persons cost.
I had to buy another vehicle because my boat was very close to being illegal to tow ie prado haines 650.
The other thing people do not understand when towing is gross vehicle mass when towing,combined weight of car and what is being towed as stipulated by the car manufacturer. As I stated earlier vic roads have all the info you need.
Thanks ill have to work out gvm for when travelling

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 am

Okay guys, we all have different skills and knowledge. This is about sharing that, no need to take potshots at each other.

Me, I am good at pulling things apart, but getting them back together is another story.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Okay guys, we all have different skills and knowledge. This is about sharing that, no need to take potshots at each other.

Me, I am good at pulling things apart, but getting them back together is another story.
Lol wolly thats why they invented superglue and a welder lol

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Just dropping this here - https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/researc ... TM-258048/

looks like Outlanders have a max unbraked of 570kg - again I would be ringing Mitsubishi not taking some random internet sites word for it, but, just get the brakes and be done with it. They're worth it even if you dont need them.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Calm down girls. This is a fishing forum. Not a shielas bathroom.
Go to bed and relax
Nice one smartarse just trying to stir the pot just like when I was looking for a Jack Russell & you said to let you know when I found one so you could bring your dog around to kill it. Don't be a hero they don't always win ;-)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Boonanza wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Calm down girls. This is a fishing forum. Not a shielas bathroom.
Go to bed and relax
Nice one smartarse just trying to stir the pot just like when I was looking for a Jack Russell & you said to let you know when I found one so you could bring your dog around to kill it. Don't be a hero they don't always win ;-)
Did you find a dog? No hero here. Smartarse yes.
But i do always win

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 pm

what the sticker/plate on the car is what Vicroads/police/insurance go by and what you should to. If that means under 600kg then you must get brakes (regular old mechanical brakes aren't that expensive to setup and perfectly legal) or upgrade your car to one that can have the maximum 750kg unbraked.

GVM like nude up said is VERY important too. I can legally tow 3t and set up to, however if towing 3t the gvm allows only 538kg extra, that's 4 normal adults and sfa else in the tub/cabin

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Ok.just or if curiosity.
If you add brakes later. Does the axle need to be changed.
I have torsion suspension and an adjustable drawbar to.boot

Return to “Boating”