Boat and Car Combo?

jaybird01

Re: Boat and Car Combo?

Post by jaybird01 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Best way is to load up the boat as if you were going fishing and take it to a public weigh bridge and unhook it on the plate and then you will know exactly.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Those numbers are fine if it a genuine mitsubishi towbar not an aftermarket one fitted to the vehicle.
I'd be going by what the compliance plate say's for insurance reasons alone.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Yep
Was just thinking of the complience plate

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks matt

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
drew 2 wrote:The 750kg trailer brake law is irrelevant if the car's unbraked max towing capacity is only 540kg. Hull 350kg,motor around 80kg,fuel 60kg thats approx 490kg before you even put the weight of the trailer into consideration.
That figure of 540kg has to be wrong.....a small hatchback should be able to pull at least 500kg (I'm guessing an Outlander would safely pull a tonne)
Outlander should be non breaked at 750 and breaked at 1600

Utter rubbish, if you have no idea, except for "thinking" the figures are wrong, DON'T comment.
Would you be able to handle the fact that someone has overloaded their cars legal allowable towing weights because you said you "think" it's wrong or "that car can tow more than that".
THEN the person has an accident and kills someone, all because they took your advice. I doubt it.

Seriously guys.

Drew is correct, with the first part of his comment "The 750kg trailer brake law is irrelevant if the car's unbraked max towing capacity is only 540kg."

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm

sputnik wrote:Hi Guys,

Sorry to post one of these kind of questions as i know they can be a real ball breaker, but i am really in need of some help. So my current situation is that i have a savage ranger 455 aluminium run about sittting in my garage. To my knowledge the boat is 4.8m in length, has a 40hp two stroke mercury and 60L fuel tank.

I have absolutely no idea how heavy it is and would like some input from you experienced boaters out there. Looking up online ive found that the hull only is approximately 350kg in weight.

Furthermore the car i plan on towing it with is a 2006 mitsubishi outlander. It is a constant 4x4 soft roader although only 4 cylinder and has an unbraked towing capacity of 540kg, so i think ill need to get brakes for the trailer.

Do you guys think ill be able to comfortably tow and launch with this type of car? The main places i launch would be warneet, stony point and mordialloc or mornington.

Thanks heaps.

We all live and learn.

When I got my Ford, I specified that I needed a tow bar, to tow my boat, the initial tow bar I think was rated 500 or 750kg, which was fine with the tinnie, but when I up graded to a heavier boat, it meant ditching that tow bar and putting on one with a heavier rating. So my maximum tow weight is 1600kgs and tow ball weight maximum of 160kgs.

My rig weighs 1460kgs. and the first reading of the tow ball weight was 80kg which is too light, and it should be closed to 140kgs.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Brett wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
drew 2 wrote:The 750kg trailer brake law is irrelevant if the car's unbraked max towing capacity is only 540kg. Hull 350kg,motor around 80kg,fuel 60kg thats approx 490kg before you even put the weight of the trailer into consideration.
That figure of 540kg has to be wrong.....a small hatchback should be able to pull at least 500kg (I'm guessing an Outlander would safely pull a tonne)

Utter rubbish, if you have no idea, except for "thinking" the figures are wrong, DON'T comment.
Would you be able to handle the fact that someone has overloaded their cars legal allowable towing weights because you said you "think" it's wrong or "that car can tow more than that".
THEN the person has an accident and kills someone, all because they took your advice. I doubt it.

Seriously guys.

Drew is correct, with the first part of his comment "The 750kg trailer brake law is irrelevant if the car's unbraked max towing capacity is only 540kg."

I looked it up online thank you very much brett

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Brett wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
If thats your attitude do you say if i buy you a drink and leave it next to you. Then you drink it.
Who would the police say is at fault?

Seriously guys.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Brett wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

Seriously guys.

I fear for the person who takes advice from someone on an internet forum that answers a question with "I think" or "Im guessing". I was just trying to get a discussion started to help the guy out. Have a snickers man.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 pm

And this is why Mods, don't step in.

Return to “Boating”