Preventing yawing

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Preventing yawing

Post by re-tyred » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:00 am

laneends wrote:If you were to drop a bottom anchor either end of the boat would it not potentially make it harder to retreive them especially if they both snagged up, as one would prevent you driving over the other, instead you would be trying to retreive by dragging them along the bottom towards the boat
You let the rope out on the snagged anchor and recover the other one, then drive back over the snagged anchor.
If you are on foul bottom you should be using a reef anchor.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks .... there are plenty of good ideas here!

BUT ..... If I did opt to anchor from the bow using a conventional anchor and use a weight from the stern to hold the boat from yawing/sailing then what weight would hold it still? Assuming a 6.5M alloy boat with a small cabin in light current

Kestrel

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Kestrel wrote:Thanks .... there are plenty of good ideas here!

BUT ..... If I did opt to anchor from the bow using a conventional anchor and use a weight from the stern to hold the boat from yawing/sailing then what weight would hold it still? Assuming a 6.5M alloy boat with a small cabin in light current

Kestrel
it will still yaw a bit unless you are across the tide/ wind, a little so that both ropes pull tight. It just depends if the weight is big enough to hold the boat . I tried that an opted for a second anchor.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:46 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Kestrel wrote:Thanks .... there are plenty of good ideas here!

Kestrel
it will still yaw a bit unless you are across the tide/ wind, a little so that both ropes pull tight. It just depends if the weight is big enough to hold the boat . I tried that an opted for a second anchor.
You shouldn't anchor from.the transom for if it gets snagged pulls the corner of the boat down a bit and a rogue come over and floods your boat

Return to “Boating”