Oils ain't oils (but marketing is marketing)

Sinsemilla

Re: Oils ain't oils (but marketing is marketing)

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:06 am

I'm with frozenpod on the fuel debate. I've had 3 imports that i tracked. I found the best oil was Royal Purple and BP Ultimate for fuel. Knock levels were a bit higher with shell and it was always different. the engines were sr20det and a rb25det

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:13 am

Sinsemilla wrote:I'm with frozenpod on the fuel debate. I've had 3 imports that i tracked. I found the best oil was Royal Purple and BP Ultimate for fuel. Knock levels were a bit higher with shell and it was always different. the engines were sr20det and a rb25det
did you chek fuel consumption? not that you would on those motors anyway but still just asking

i never seen anything silly knock wise on the power fc controller on the 3sgte, others (N12 turbo and Ig-gte) i didnt have anything to monitor, just went off the seat of my pants
ive never used royal Purple, had nightmares from guys who used it in their gearbox oils so stayed away from it.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am

Depends how close to the limit the tune is.

BP premium I have found to provide the best km per $ with BPU providing the largest range.

Ps tested with SR20 RB20 RB25 1JZ 1UZ plus standard daily shitters.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 am

My cars limiter was always set to just over 8k so i needed the best fuel even if the tune was a bit on the conservative side. Fuel consumption was good. I used to get 450 odd ks (never really tested it) out of a full tank in the sr20 which had 270rwkw in a nissan 180sx. Even in my Navara i have now i get more k's with bp compared to shell diesel. My brother worked as a machanic for 12 years and did a test on a few fuels and shell always had the most water in their fuel, diesel and petrol.

Nothing but Redline go into my gear boxes. I love the stuff

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 am

Limit I mean tune limit not rpm ie how far you are pushing the timing. Plenty of turbo motors make great power with low timing and huge safety margins whilst other motors timing is everything.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 am

I never got my cars tuned "to the limit" i always had my cars tuned on the conservative side. but even though, with high rev limiters and hard driving (drifting) which gets the motor really hot you need the best fuel and oil you can get. I found lower knock readings with Royal Purple and BP Ultimate. BP Ultimate always trumped Shell.

Recently though I've found i get a fair few more k's out of a tank of United diesel over BP diesel..

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am

wow thats interesting you both have exact opposite to what i always got.
i went off litres per km, not $$ per km comparison.
aka put in 75 litres got so many kms while fuel light comes on.
man i wish i could still own a Turbo import, damn boats..

anyway back onto topic!!! i would buy something decent from a shop and use that.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:51 am

Sinsemilla wrote:I never got my cars tuned "to the limit" i always had my cars tuned on the conservative side. but even though, with high rev limiters and hard driving (drifting) which gets the motor really hot you need the best fuel and oil you can get. I found lower knock readings with Royal Purple and BP Ultimate. BP Ultimate always trumped Shell.

Recently though I've found i get a fair few more k's out of a tank of United diesel over BP diesel..
Funny you say that i also noticed the same but in petrol

and ps last 2 years i have only used shell in the subaru and major service fuel pump and filter assembly had to be changed as routine maintenance, i was there when they did it as it was at a mates shop, tank was clean as. no water nothing in it that they could see. even the filter was clean

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Too different tests.

If you are doing heaps of kms the $$ matter.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I never got my cars tuned "to the limit" i always had my cars tuned on the conservative side.
Depends on the motor. The 2 you listed you can pull heaps of timing and loos stuff all hp. Ie 5 deg and drop 5rwkw. Other motors pull 5 deg and they loose 25-30rwkw.

I tune my own cars so beinf at thw limit and needjng to make a quick adjustment at the track is no problem.

Return to “Boating”