Deckie etiquette/rules

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Deckie etiquette/rules

Post by barra mick » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Tomcat1 wrote:i usually always offer money for fuel and if i dont have any money at the time i just go to the pier to fish. i always bring along plenty of bait to share. i have been offered to go a few times when i have been broke. i always say i just dont have any money for fuel so maybe next time. once i get to work i will be going with a few friends on their boats but for now i would feel bad about going on someones boat and not having the money to help with fuel costs. i usually always have lots of garfish or tommy rough for bait. which i am always happy to share and usually give whatever is left over to the skipper. i also help with setting up the boat to launch and help too tie it down after taking it out. i have never been much good at backing trailers lol. but always willing to pull the car out and park it once the boat is launched. all good points guys. when i get my own boat i will be willing to take people out as long as they respect the boat. if they dont respect the boat and the skipper then they might find themselves swimming home lol.
if u get yr own boat u will hav to learn how to back it down the ramp!!

good on u for not going out when yr poor
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 am

Personally, unless it's someone whose ability I am 100% supremely confident in, I would much rather back my boat down the ramp & launch it myself. Seen far too many accidents by people whom don't quite know what they're doing.
Wost case scenario - dunked car/4wd.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 am

My approach is the same, risks are too high IMO just to save a 1 minute.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm

While browsing through this great site. I came across this topic and couldn't help myself.
Here are my 10 "Golden" rules of boating, for those invited aboard.

1. Wear soft soled shoes or go barefoot.

2. Wear shorts or bathers under your trousers.

3. If you make a mess in the boat, promptly clean it up.

4. If you cause any damage, kindly offer to repair it or pay for the damages.

5. Always offer to help clean the boat properly afterwards.

6. Always allow the skipper to control the sharing of the catch.

7. Do not grizzle if asked to jump overboard to push the boat through the shallows.

8. Do not expect the skipper to simultaneously cut all the bait, drop or lift the anchor, rig lines, pour the drinks, set the burley buckets, and operate the sounder without your help.

9. Maintain an atmosphere of goodwill by not advising the skipper how he should operate his boat.

10. At the completion of the trip, when the boat is washed and the fish cleaned, always ask the skipper how much you owe him for drinks, food, bait, fuel etc. as your share of the trip. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I read that in a book many years ago and thought it was brilliant.
Cheers
The Tube

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Great post Wolly, although I sailed for many years i've never actually caught a fish off a boat, will keep this bookmarked incase i do end up heading out somewhere!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:17 pm

great thread, the input from the guys and girls is great and many valid points made.
thanks to everybody for their input

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Well said guys you covered most of what I was thinking about, one of my pet hates banging the sinkers against the boat I believe shows disrespect for my property it doesn't matter how much you paid for the boat.
A good chat before the outing who,s bringing what and an offer on the fuel is highly regarded.

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Nude up wrote:Well said guys you covered most of what I was thinking about, one of my pet hates banging the sinkers against the boat I believe shows disrespect for my property it doesn't matter how much you paid for the boat.
A good chat before the outing who,s bringing what and an offer on the fuel is highly regarded.
What's All this banging sinkers on the boat, i dont understand, Are we talking about hitting the boat by accident?

Because i Never seem to do That, but it sounds common after reading this thread?
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Yes nude up. I forgot about that one. One or twice by accident I can cop. But all day long??
Cheers
The Tube

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:01 pm

Its very common avg fisho you or your father wouldnt do it, I dont do it, my mates who have boats don't do it, but very common with people who fish but don't have boats but get invited out they don't seem to understand that it can crack the gelcoat

Return to “Boating”