Deckie etiquette/rules

Growlermz

Re: Deckie etiquette/rules

Post by Growlermz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:14 am

these rules don't only apply for boats, they apply if you take a mate out fishing from the bank as well.

be on time
pay your way
bring tackle, rods etc.
offer to pay for the tackle you loose if you use your mates (tackle isn't cheep if your constantly get snagged)
offer to pay for the bait
help pack up
if you forgot your chair don't sit in mine!!!!
bring some food and drinks for yourself
remember to take a dump before you leave (I don't fish next to toilets)

fortunately when I take the boat out the guys I fish with all help on another but when I take the darls brother out to fish off the bank he doesn't do any of that

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:11 pm

Tacklenut, you need some new mates by the sound of things. I've had that done to me. It quickly becomes the last time they go with me. The worst one I've come across, 3 day trip, paid nothing, caught nothing didn't help at the end of each day and took 3 gummy filets. Left me a fillet. Needless to say, that was his last trip.
Cheers
The Tube

brycieboy

Post by brycieboy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:27 pm

i fish with a mate of mine alot. he has the boat. generaly i will pay for the boat ramp fees, we normally alternate the bait purchases, we will share tackle if needed etc. as for fuel, i always offer, or purchase some beer. i always hang around and wash everything with him unpack the boat ect.. oh yeah, the anchor is ALWAYS my job..... cant wait till i get my own boat and dont have to do that!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 pm

I fish with my mate all the time. We are a pretty well oiled machine these days. He generally covers fuel. I generally get the bait/food. Occasionally he will already have bait. So the next time ill just pay for the fuel. No money ever really exchanges hands. Some fishing days will cost around $50. Sometime $150. But it all breaks even in the end.

We pull up at the ramp, he puts the trailer lock on. Bungs were put in at home, I unlock the anchor, take the straps off. Put the aerials up, take motor lock off. Then I reverse down whilst he is in the boat. He takes off. I park the car and we go fishing. We do the same in reverse when we are leaving. Generally we can pull up at the ramp and if its free be on the water motoring away within 5 minutes.

I'm starting to do my apprenticeship driving the boat though. So lately I've been driving it on and off the trailer. It takes a fair bit of skill to make it look easy. I didn't appreciate it until I started doing it. To do it well it requires a some pretty deft work on the controls. I'm not terrible, I'm just not smooth yet. Lol.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Good work brycieboy. There are sadly not too many people like you around. My deckies usually pay nothing as I never ask them to. The effort they put in is more than enough.
good on you ducky! Thats how we operate too
Cheers
The Tube

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:21 pm

ducky wrote:I fish with my mate all the time. We are a pretty well oiled machine these days. He generally covers fuel. I generally get the bait/food. Occasionally he will already have bait. So the next time ill just pay for the fuel. No money ever really exchanges hands. Some fishing days will cost around $50. Sometime $150. But it all breaks even in the end.

We pull up at the ramp, he puts the trailer lock on. Bungs were put in at home, I unlock the anchor, take the straps off. Put the aerials up, take motor lock off. Then I reverse down whilst he is in the boat. He takes off. I park the car and we go fishing. We do the same in reverse when we are leaving. Generally we can pull up at the ramp and if its free be on the water motoring away within 5 minutes.

I'm starting to do my apprenticeship driving the boat though. So lately I've been driving it on and off the trailer. It takes a fair bit of skill to make it look easy. I didn't appreciate it until I started doing it. To do it well it requires a some pretty deft work on the controls. I'm not terrible, I'm just not smooth yet. Lol.
and that's exactly how it should be !!!!

makes fishing so easy !

also good on you for learning how to drive the boat ducky...I no heaps of blokes who don't even give it a go

its a lot better when you have two drivers

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:23 pm

brycieboy wrote:.. oh yeah, the anchor is ALWAYS my job..... cant wait till i get my own boat and dont have to do that!
That made me laugh! :a_goodjob:

Can i assume once you get the boat, you will be in no rush to get an electric winch?!
Last edited by Rogue_Hunter on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:39 pm

totally heaps better when you have two drivers.

I always volunteer to drive or share driving, I think it makes it easier on everyone. safer too imo.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:43 pm

that's great sep chick

makes a trip easy

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

bigwal

Post by bigwal » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Always take a **** before you head out.