Edencraft 6.0m Review/Report

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Edencraft 6.0m Review/Report

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 am

bowl wrote:Size for size in your opinion which is zee best
Seafarer victory,edncraft or the extreme
Going to have to say the Extreme. I guess the one think that I know the Edencraft does better is speed, but apart from that I know I'd much rather be fishing from the Extreme in terms of comfort, warmth, being dry, and the layout just makes more sense. The seafarer comes third but that was a 20 year old boat so maybe a little unfair comparison.

The one thing I will say is that the options in this Edencraft are very similar to the Extreme that's on the way, but this Edencraft cost $25,000 more all up even the Extreme has an extra metre of boat.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:59 am

I would love a hard top, I would agree with the clears if a take a wave over the top water gets in the cockpit. I have done several mods over the years on my boat seals around the bottom edge stopped the water coming under the clears,the zip for the window used to let water in so I silasticed the stitched joint between the vinyl and the zip. My rocket launcher come cockpit roof is cantilevered from the back and Haines design is flawed if you do to much offshore work they crack. Mine has forward stabilising bars welded to the roof then bolted to the boat which stops it from cracking but you can not fold the structure any more so height can be an issue and the clears are cut around the bars letting water in when a wave hits the windscreen and is driven up. I have thought of a wave breaker like what Eden craft use but my windscreens are curved so now when going offshore I use low adhesive vinyl tape does the job.
I am close to having all my clears replaced they are getting on a bit.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:20 am

Does it have trim tabs Scott? If not, tell your mate to get them asap. Really calms down the banging and handling when going 'slow' in chop. If it does, then it's a motor trim/tab level issue, with more use and better idea of correct positions the boat won't bang anywhere near as much. That said, once you're used to tin, glass does bang in a different much more noticeable way (and vice versa when used to glass).

Clears, get him to grab a heap of bottles of rain x and some plexus cans. Every few weeks apply with rain x, when really dirty (usually once a month or longer) clean with plexus followed by more rain x. They'll be as close to solid perspex/glass as you can get. As for water entry, little bit of that self adhesive rubber seal along the bottom edge of the clears helps immensely, won't stop all water, but most.

As for fitout, that's the first negative I've heard about Davey marine. I've never been a fan of cabin doors, nor sound systems

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:37 am

cobby wrote:Does it have trim tabs Scott? If not, tell your mate to get them asap. Really calms down the banging and handling when going 'slow' in chop. If it does, then it's a motor trim/tab level issue, with more use and better idea of correct positions the boat won't bang anywhere near as much. That said, once you're used to tin, glass does bang in a different much more noticeable way (and vice versa when used to glass).

Clears, get him to grab a heap of bottles of rain x and some plexus cans. Every few weeks apply with rain x, when really dirty (usually once a month or longer) clean with plexus followed by more rain x. They'll be as close to solid perspex/glass as you can get. As for water entry, little bit of that self adhesive rubber seal along the bottom edge of the clears helps immensely, won't stop all water, but most.

As for fitout, that's the first negative I've heard about Davey marine. I've never been a fan of cabin doors, nor sound systems
Yeah he's got tabs. We've done a lot of fiddling and have yet to find the right amount of trim for the best ride, but at those lower speeds it doesn't seem to matter how much trim, the nose won't come down far enough. I think it might be a bit to do with having twins, and the weight is a bit of an issue. Anyone who buys a boat like that without trim tabs would be mad I recon, without em the boat would be all over the place.

With regard to clears. They are easy enough to see through but doesn't compare to the near 180 degree viewing angle of the glass hardtop, but that's just me being picky. Think something has to be done about sealing them though yeah, a lot of water comes in under the bottom of the clears.

I can't fault the fitout in terms of quality (save the cabin door issue), but yeah just the positioning of some aspects are a bit weird I thought.

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:00 pm

That's an interesting review. You hear nothing but good things about the 6m edencraft. I guess you are always going to find things that don't suit your needs.
I had the 570 extreme and it was a good boat. With the hardtop on a hot day was way too hot and stuffy, but on a cold day was great. No good for drifting as it would catch too much wind, I would use a sea anchor but that can be annoying if moving spots regularly. Had a couple of signs of electrolysis after 2.5 years which bugged me no end. Saying that I still rate them a great boat. I have an amf now and the ride is amazing . The look of the finishes are not flashy but definatly built to last the test of time.
Edencraft have a loyal following and hard to fault , different strokes as they say.
Is your mate happy with it?

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Feathor wrote:That's an interesting review. You hear nothing but good things about the 6m edencraft. I guess you are always going to find things that don't suit your needs.
I had the 570 extreme and it was a good boat. With the hardtop on a hot day was way too hot and stuffy, but on a cold day was great. No good for drifting as it would catch too much wind, I would use a sea anchor but that can be annoying if moving spots regularly. Had a couple of signs of electrolysis after 2.5 years which bugged me no end. Saying that I still rate them a great boat. I have an amf now and the ride is amazing . The look of the finishes are not flashy but definatly built to last the test of time.
Edencraft have a loyal following and hard to fault , different strokes as they say.
Is your mate happy with it?
At the moment he is a bit underwhelmed by the ride and handling, he's coming from a Haines 585 which he thinks had a better ride. However we both acknowledge that it will probably take some time to learn how to drive it properly to get the best out of it.

Interesting that you talk about electrolysis. Was it just paint bubbling? Ours was recalled for a repaint 2 years ago as there was a problem with a particular batch of paint they had used, and it was bubbling. Repaint fixed it (and got rid of all the scratches I'd accumulated to that point which was a bonus)

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Had bubbling around the side pockets, near the rear around bait well and some near the base of the hard top. Couldn't tell you honestly if it was electrolysis or a paint issue. It would annoy me but never got the chance to fix it as the boat got stolen.
Did you sell your old boat? What size is the new one and when does It arrive?

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Feathor wrote:Had bubbling around the side pockets, near the rear around bait well and some near the base of the hard top. Couldn't tell you honestly if it was electrolysis or a paint issue. It would annoy me but never got the chance to fix it as the boat got stolen.
Did you sell your old boat? What size is the new one and when does It arrive?
Yeah sold the old boat, was very easy in the end it went about 10 minutes after I listed it.

The new one is the Extreme 695, and arrives on the 31st of October (it's so close now!)

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:24 pm

I'd love to hear more about the autopilot scott. What situations did you use it in?

Cheers, Anth

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I'd love to hear more about the autopilot scott. What situations did you use it in?

Cheers, Anth
The offshore uses are great, point in a direction and cruise or troll on a dead straight line without having to touch the wheel, makes watching the sounder or the spread much easier. Even in swell or rough conditions it keeps you going straight so you're not having to constantly steer.

Even inshore when sounding the edge of the channel you can use it, and there is a little dial you can twist to change the heading so you don't have to re-set it or anything.

Return to “Boating”