Trailer failure eliminates fishing time... all fixed now

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Trailer failure eliminates fishing time... all fixed now

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm

C section or I beam is def easier to rinse out.
I have beams so need to rinse out properly

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Nude up wrote:I would be saving up for a new trailer. I don't think to many people flush out the box sections I used to flush my dunbier from the front to the back. I like the new trailers made of c section rather than box section easier to rinse the salt water off.
I flush mine all the time

Were lucky in vic the salt content is nothing compared to up North....ive had anderson plugs rust up in two weeks...its insane.

bm

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 am

Along with a thorough flushing after each trip, I spray mine inside and out with Lannox.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Trailer failure eliminates fishing time

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:06 am

Texas wrote:
drew 2 wrote:Probably a good argument for roadworthy certificates for trailers on change of ownership,same as cars.

That's scary stuff to see.
Your kidding, aren't ya
If I buy a trailer over 6x4 it has to be registered,but not (necessarily) roadworthy ?
Does a boat need a "seaworthy" to transfer registration ???
When I first read this post I thought, shouldn't that have been picked up during the roadworthy.

In the dark
Gra

If you buy a boat interstate you need to get it inspected by vic roads when yiu register it.

If you buy in vic its just transferring ownership and no inspection is needed.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:12 am

blacklab99 wrote:Ok, I'll say it
The trailer is toast !!!!!
Be super careful smile please.
She certainly is rusting from inside out, all the surface rust appearing on the outside, is sort of indicating that its gone.......
Whey say its toast?
Only rust is the 2 channels which have been cut out and reinforced.
How do you justify $300 for repairs over $3000 for a new trailer while on holdidays and now its fixed the new sections will out last the rest of the trailer.

At what point do you say enough is enough?
There is no weekeness in the trailer now.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:48 am

Smile there's a lot of structural engineers on this thread.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:04 am

rb85 wrote:Smile there's a lot of structural engineers on this thread.
Mite be
But my point is why waste money on a new trailer when the old is repairable.
90% of trailer was still is good.
The rest of the trailer is sealed and in good condition except for those 2 beams.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:39 pm

smile0784 wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Ok, I'll say it
The trailer is toast !!!!!
Be super careful smile please.
She certainly is rusting from inside out, all the surface rust appearing on the outside, is sort of indicating that its gone.......
Whey say its toast?
Only rust is the 2 channels which have been cut out and reinforced.
How do you justify $300 for repairs over $3000 for a new trailer while on holdidays and now its fixed the new sections will out last the rest of the trailer.

At what point do you say enough is enough?
There is no weekeness in the trailer now.
Ok, I say its toast from my personal experience. Had boats and trailers for near 40 years and had my share of welding up trailers as I couldn't
afford replacement, hell, I did it only 2 years ago with a trailer that had half the rust in it compared to yours.
rust is not usually a localised issue, if its come out where it did, you could pretty well guarantee its riddled. The surface rust is a big indicator as your current issues rusted from inside. So one can pretty confidently assume all the other surface rust on the trailer could have the same issues as the current repair job did. I new my last trailer had, which we started to repair, but it was further up the trailer with no other visible rust showing where we cut into it and found a disaster waiting to happen, so it got cut up and dumped. As others have said, I too would be cutting my losses with your current trailer and not taking the risk and investing in a new one for piece of mind. you say " there is no other weakness in your trailer now " is that your opinion ? or one by a qualified engineer ? obviously the welder that fixed your boat gave it a good tapping all over to check it out, but your rust is coming from within, so the only way to 100 percent check it out is to cut into it.
I know its a pain when these things give us unexpected costs, but I speak to you from a lot of experience with rusted trailers, I'll never sugar coat it and yes its just my opinion, but don't base your decision on your pocket or from someone not truly qualified to inspect, your dealing with something that could not only take you out, let alone your family, but some other innocent driver.
So, to conclude, I haven't seen a trailer with that sort of rust, not be riddled else where.....
keep an eye on it while your away, be gentle with it and get it to a structural company when you get back, that's my only advice..........

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Texas wrote:
drew 2 wrote:Probably a good argument for roadworthy certificates for trailers on change of ownership,same as cars.

Your kidding, aren't ya
If I buy a trailer over 6x4 it has to be registered,but not (necessarily) roadworthy ?
When I first read this post I thought, shouldn't that have been picked up during the roadworthy.

In the dark
Gra

If you buy a boat interstate you need to get it inspected by vic roads when yiu register it.

I bought my boat in sydney towed it home vic roads only inspected the trailer not for condition only for width, if the lights worked and for a stamped serial number which it didnt have it was just on the id plate I took it home stamped the numbers in then took it back. They never even looked at the boat

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Nude up wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Texas wrote:

Your kidding, aren't ya

In the dark
Gra

I bought my boat in sydney towed it home vic roads only inspected the trailer not for condition only for width, if the lights worked and for a stamped serial number which it didnt have it was just on the id plate I took it home stamped the numbers in then took it back. They never even looked at the boat
Wonder if thats why boat theft is so prevalent.

Return to “Boating”