Has liked: 39 times

Re: Boating at night

Post by smile0784 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Did you go out?

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Its all experience mate. Im out as we speak. I dare say im the only boat.at the ramp.
Tried for gummies but they didnt play. Bloody swell sharks did though... Got 5 couta. Gunna have a nap and get up early in mornen to chase some squid and leatherjacket.
Wet and windy but very calm.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:11 am

Night fishing is the best fishing.

If you have a good gps/sounder with I would suggest charting a few trips in daylight on low tides so you can follow the same routes throughout the night without becoming beached or hitting land/markers etc.

Just be beware of boat traffic and boats at anchor. If I spot a boat coming toward me I generally shine a bright spot light at them for a couple seconds so they know I'm there. It's probably annoying to them, but it's better than them not noticing me at all.

Also, fish to the conditions. If the wind/swell picks up at any stage, go shelter yourself somewhere calm and see it out (wpb is much much better for this than ppb)

IMO from experience, an electric anchor is one of the greatest safety assets you can get for night fishing. I once fished the western entrance at night and a huge southerly unexpectedly came from nowhere, trying to hand pull up an anchor at the bow of a boat in 20m of strong outgoing tide is not a position you want to be in at night time. ended up cutting the line because it was too dangerous to pull up by hand.

johnnycjay
Has liked: 1 time

Post by johnnycjay » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:09 pm

No not yet. There were some great nights this week but with two young kids it's hard!

I'll get out soon.

Return to “Boating”