New Boat & Some Captures

azkay

New Boat & Some Captures

Post by azkay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:55 am

Hadn't really posted a thread for a while. Thought i'd share my journey too..

After well over a decade of Land Based Fishing in PPB, Corio Bay and sorrounds i decided it was about time i got myself boat. My early days i found myself getting seasick on friends boats when i got a chance to go out so it put me off for a while.

During last season, i was fortunate enough to end up on a decent boat with a good skipper. Caught some ripper fish in PPB, really enjoyed myself and found that i handled the conditions pretty well. Became quite a productive decky! I guess that's what prompted me to start looking for my own little vessel. I was in the market for a Bay Boat, something that was safe and didn't break the budget.

Coincidentally a 'hunter' friend of mine saw 'boatsales.com.au' on my screen one day while we were sitting around. I didn't even know he owned a boat but apparently had joint purchased one with a family member.. Long story short, after a quick drive the same night, i found myself looking at a 5m Fibreglass Yalta Craft Open Cab with a 2S 60 Mercury. Cosmetically, it didn't have much going for it, however the hull and engine appeared to be in great knick.

Open cab was a preference, on the boats i'd been on the half cab was used for not much more then storage due to its size/size of the boat therefore i thought the open cab would give me more fishing space.

Then started the work;
- Transfer, Insurance, Reg, Safety Gear, Marine License,
- Complete strip, sand - seal and re-spray - Inside/Outside,
- Trailer overhaul,
- Every nut, bolt and accessory from inside removed and replaced,
- Lighting, carpet, storage, radio/antenna, rod holders, windshield, anchor, sounder, steering wheel, seats, bimini, etc all replaced..

I'd already spent a decent amount of cash and didn't really have much gear suited to boat fishing. Most pier fishermen have compatible gear but i don't like fishing the piers so had to do some shopping. Invested in 2 x Heavy 2 x Medium 2 x Light Ugly Sticks and paired them up with 2500, 4000, 5000 Shimano reels to get me started. With some good line & terminal tackle haven't really encountered much in the bay that it hasn't been able to handle. Although, i've already started adding to the collection :/

Been out on it quite a few times and i can honestly say i love it. Its served me perfectly well on the bay. Some photos during the work below, along with a red & mulloway & gummy from recent land based and boat trips!

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending how you look at it, i've already started looking for something more serious, i've noticed its that type of bug!
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
Red.JPG
Mulloway.JPG
Gummy.JPG
Last edited by azkay on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Az.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: New Boat & Some Captures

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:14 am

Congrats man, fishing wont be the same again, and neither will the bank balance sadly..looks like a nice lil boat and looks like its quite high sided from the pics. perfect size for 2 people on the bay too
cheers

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 am

Have been going out with 1 other person & it's been perfect - I'm sure it could carry more, but wouldn't trade the comfort tbh at the moment..

It's definitely changed 'fishing' for me, the urge to go landbased has completely shifted to finding a good day to take the boat out!
Az.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 am

Congrats mate! Looks like a beauty and nice work you did on it :thumbsup:
Nice pics :thumbsup:

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm

azkay wrote:Thanks :)

Have been going out with 1 other person & it's been perfect - I'm sure it could carry more, but wouldn't trade the comfort tbh at the moment..

It's definitely changed 'fishing' for me, the urge to go landbased has completely shifted to finding a good day to take the boat out!
Yep, you will certainly notice it when theres an extra person on board, but your boat should be ok with 3 on a good day. But definitely lot easier when you just have 2 people, lots more room
Yeah mate, its definitely a different way to fish, all my landbased and surf stuff got given away mostly or sold cheap on FB after I got the boat.
Only part I hate is waiting for good weather and the preparation prior to fishing and cleaning up/washdown after fishing (worse if baitfishing) takes up a lot of time.
Have fun wont be long before you want the bigger boat.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, you got top boat. It looks to be well setup for fishing, id keep it for awhile & save your $$. You taken some nice catches 'well done' keep on enjoying it.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 pm

The boat came up well, good job!

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks guys, been fishing PPB, Williamstown all the way through to Mornington. Hopefully run into a few of you at the ramps!
Az.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm

azkay wrote:Thanks guys, been fishing PPB, Williamstown all the way through to Mornington. Hopefully run into a few of you at the ramps!
cant miss me loll.. usually mornington, carrum areas

Ekaz3556

Post by Ekaz3556 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Great looking boat mate.
Next horrible day take the car for a drive all the way around past Geelong , st leonards etc. you will be amazed at how much the conditions change due to the lay out of the bay. You can often find a place to safely launch in and comfortably fish. Lots of nooks and crannies to hid in. Suddenly bad days with just mean 30 minutes more by road :)

Return to “Boating”