Haines Hunter 400 Sea Wasp

Fish-Hunter

Re: Haines Hunter 400 Sea Wasp

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 pm

^^
Enjoy your boat Purple, it seems to be serving you well & keeping you happy. In the end that's what it's all about 'happy boating & fishing" :)

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Great boat you git there

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Flash

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Little beast mate.

I've got it's slightly bigger cousin. Love it.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm

ducky wrote:Little beast mate.

I take it you got a Formula 15 ? 'Nice' :thumbsup:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
ducky wrote:Little beast mate.

I take it you got a Formula 15 ? 'Nice' :thumbsup:
Yeah mines an ex tiller that's been converted to cc.

I'm keen to do a rebuild on it and dress it up a little but house renos and everything else keeps getting in the way. One day...

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:The Haines Hunter 400 Sea Wasp is an awesome tiller steer fibreglass boat, it handles better than my previous 4.55m Savage Ranger alloy centre console & is more capable in rough choppy Port Phillip Bay afternoon SW blows.
What differences handling wise have you noticed between the 2 boats.
and does the haines have trim control or just a std tiller.

i think at some stage or the other every tinny has a weld let go here and there.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
cobby wrote:Boat looks a million bucks. Just got a few questions though.
What was the strengthening work done by Haines?
How's the 2 banger on fuel?
Is the permatrim a necessity or more a fix for a minor lift problem?
Did you have a tank put in under the floor or are you running a tote in the bilge area?

Yes, I'm 95% ditching the kayak for a wasp
The strengthing work was done on the bow's front 'Top Deck' area, as the previous owner had an electric anchor winch mounted on the bow which he removed, I got Haines Hunter after care centre to totally re-fibreglass the area strengthening it even further than standard by 3 extra layers of fibreglass matting & finish the top area again with fresh gel coat, they hand layered 3 extra sheets of glass matting underneath, then they re-flow coated the new glassed under bow area 'as new finish' & after they re-gel coated the top bow deck area, the final finish was flawless as you expect from the Haines Hunter factory.

The new Sea Wasp's are actually over built Haines Hunter advised, they are over engineered & made super strong with a matrix structure & extra glass & thick gel coat finish. I can vouch for that my Sea Wasp is rock solid, cuts through choppy/rough Port Phillip bay conditions like a knife.

The Mercury 2 stroke is an electric start version & is great on fuel, no under floor tank, but I run a 25 fuel tank up front under the casting platform & on a big day's Snapper fishing at the top of the bay, running about from the Warmies ramp to P2, Fawkner Beacon areas & in between covering a lot of Snapper ground am lucky to use 8 to 14 litres.

The Permatrim isn't necessary, but it certainly helps get more lift & tracks better worth the $120.00, the Solas stainless prop has got slightly extra cupping so it gets more bite of the water, just little things that make a small difference. I outfitted my Sea Wasp with everything 316 stainless steel, I didn't spare any expense, it is worth doing properly the first time.

'Cobby' if you get a Sea Wasp you will be happy, you get a boat that can go freshwater lake or estuary fishing, hunt PPB Snapper, KGW, Calamari etc in rough conditions & travel out wide safely, even do some light offshore work at Apollo bay or Portland etc no probs. :cheers:

New cost is approx $15000.00 for a basic BMT setup, then depending on the fit up you can easily spend another $3k to $5k, even less if you find a top condition 2nd hand one, but late models rarely show up for sale & usually are snapped up quickly.
I take it was a capstan style winch and not a drum? Any particular reason for deleting it or just didn't want it?

14 litres from ~50km of travel is a lot better than I was expecting. Is there much room left under the front deck with the fuel tank, particularly for a large battery? I was pricing up a couple with the 4 stroke as fuel capacity and usage is critical for my requirements but if you're getting roughly 3km per litre with the 2 stroke then a 25l plus a spare 12 or so litre tank when needed should be adequate for the 2 stroke and save the $4000 or so difference in cost.

I've been keeping an eye on the market, original hulls cost a bomb, cootacraft little rams are non existent and I couldn't be bothered waiting for a new build when I'm in a position to pull the trigger so I'm basically left with a new Haines build

Return to “Boating”