Something so simple

Hammy Y

Re: Something so simple

Post by Hammy Y » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:13 am

I had a problem with my boat where youd have to floor the lever/accelerator to get it to click into gear and itd take off at lightning speed (really dangerous around the ramps) and i feared the worst that something had happened to the motor and id be 1000s of dollars down the drain but a simple adjustment next time it was in for a service seemed to be the fix (or so the boys at the mechanic tell me) now just gotta get it out on the water and test. Fingers crossed.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:10 am

Yeah Wolly definitely a killswitch issue from what you've described. Would have been funny to watch that every time you moved the seat the motor would cark it. I had a similar issiue in the past. Some boat designer's are f#@$wits. You'd think that after paying good coin that these sort of stupid issues just would not happen? I bet you were thinking BOAT - BE OVER ANOTHER THOUSAND in repairs.

Joe

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 am

Blueyed1 wrote:Yeah Wolly definitely a killswitch issue from what you've described. Would have been funny to watch that every time you moved the seat the motor would cark it. I had a similar issiue in the past. Some boat designer's are f#@$wits. You'd think that after paying good coin that these sort of stupid issues just would not happen? I bet you were thinking BOAT - BE OVER ANOTHER THOUSAND in repairs.

Joe
I use to have a Holden Sandman, 4 on the floor. Broke the gear box and got a reco one fitted, and I would take it back to the them as the dummy shaft would wear, anyway the gear box gave years of service, except for an annoying problem that 3rd and 4th gears at times were hard to select. Then the problem would go away. I was told is was dirt that caused the jamming, I cleaned and lubricated every moving part, but the problem would still appear and then go away just as mysteriously.

Then one day I was under the car, noticed that the spring clip was off set, (not flat) I wonder what would happen if I turned it around the other way. Problem cured. ( I had been quoted $550 to pull the gear box out and to pull it apart)

Another issue in the days of distributer caps and rotor buttons. The car would develope a miss, even after a service where they said that the checked the cap and all the leads, it still happened as I was driving it home from it being just serviced. It lost power and ran as rough as guts, so back to the mechanic and they could not find out what was wrong.

Any way once I got home, I took the distributer cap off and noticed scouring in the centre of the rotor button, what was happening is that pin from the coil had worn so much, that the spring was protruding from the guide and it was flapping around. so new distributer cap and problem solved.

I think I even replaced the coil trying to sort this problem.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 pm

I had a similar problem with an old Holden Jackaroo which was my 1st 4WD years ago. It would run fine for 100km or so and then I'd loose power and so much so l'd come to a gradual stop. I'd turn the ignition off, turn the key and it'd crank over and I'd be back to normal. Took it to a few mechanics and they could not work it out - saying it was a fuel prob or something like that. This went on for months. I noted it would always start to happen when l'd hit 100kmh or so. One day I pulled up and looked under the bonnet and took the cap off the distributor. I decided to have a better look at the distributor. What I noticed was that as the distributor rotor advanced (I turned it manually) it would pull the wire out of the capacitor in the rotor and it would cause a lost connection. I changed the component and the problem was solved. Intermittent problems are hard to solve sometimes.

Joe

Return to “Boating”