Correct motor set up

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Correct motor set up

Post by russellh2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 pm

I have savage kestrel with 9.5 Evinrude and am trying to find information in relation to correct motor height dimensions - cav plate to keel

At the moment top of cav plate is about 3" / 75mm below keel

Search of internet only provides sketchy info.

TIA

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Correct motor set up

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:53 pm

russellh2 wrote:I have savage kestrel with 9.5 Evinrude and am trying to find information in relation to correct motor height dimensions - cav plate to keel

At the moment top of cav plate is about 3" / 75mm below keel

Search of internet only provides sketchy info.

TIA
I'd leave it as it is. However according to the rules the cav plate is ideally level with the keel. You can experiment by putting different heights of packing under the motor raising it to different heights and seeing how it goes.

I think perhaps the ideal might be the cav plate to be about 1 1/2 inches below the keel.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Given the hp/speed of your boat (I assume alloy prop) it probably wont make much difference but typically with good stainless steel props you start with the cav plate 1" above the keel and move the motor up from there.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:26 pm

I've got a stock 25hp 2st mariner on a 3.7 stacer proline. Cav plate level with bottom of "keel." Motor square with hull. I had to weld in a packer to do it properly. We set up murlz new motor properly for him on a cod trip a few years ago 18hp on a 3.7 savage.Made for a lot drier :-D and better handling/performing boat,didn't improve his fishing but :(

I'm sure i will get flamed for the above advice by the experts on here,but please remember i am talking about a basic outboard motor on a basic tinny,no power tilt or trim to fine tune it in on the move.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:57 pm

drew 2 wrote:I've got a stock 25hp 2st mariner on a 3.7 stacer proline. Cav plate level with bottom of "keel." Motor square with hull. I had to weld in a packer to do it properly. We set up murlz new motor properly for him on a cod trip a few years ago 18hp on a 3.7 savage.Made for a lot drier :-D and better handling/performing boat,didn't improve his fishing but :(

I'm sure i will get flamed for the above advice by the experts on here,but please remember i am talking about a basic outboard motor on a basic tinny,no power tilt or trim to fine tune it in on the move.
Hey drew murlz hasn't been out for a while, rumour has it that he is having lessons with a professional, I have great faith in rumours, ;-) cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm

davek wrote:
drew 2 wrote:I've got a stock 25hp 2st mariner on a 3.7 stacer proline. Cav plate level with bottom of "keel." Motor square with hull. I had to weld in a packer to do it properly. We set up murlz new motor properly for him on a cod trip a few years ago 18hp on a 3.7 savage.Made for a lot drier :-D and better handling/performing boat,didn't improve his fishing but :(

Hey drew murlz hasn't been out for a while, rumour has it that he is having lessons with a professional, I have great faith in rumours, ;-) cheers davo
God help us all then :o_0: :o_0:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 pm

drew 2 wrote:I've got a stock 25hp 2st mariner on a 3.7 stacer proline. Cav plate level with bottom of "keel." Motor square with hull. I had to weld in a packer to do it properly.
Re packer I did exactly the same (probably the same tinny although another brand with a 25hp yamaha) as the motor was way too low.

Required a different prop though but it was worth while for heading offshore punching out from the beach.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:35 pm

drew 2 wrote:
davek wrote:

God help us all then :o_0: :o_0:
dont even a professional coukd help

Return to “Boating”