How young is too young to bring kids on the boat?

ratbag

Re: How young is too young to bring kids on the boat?

Post by ratbag » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:24 pm

davek wrote:I think at the end of the day the child is your responsibility so you have to be comfortable that you can care for them in any given situation, given any age, cheers davo
:a_goodjob:

Like NudeUp, we have a few family days on the water, missus takes a book, kids take balls & rods, me - 1 rod. Not too serious for fishing, pull up on a beach somewhere & let them fool around. Other days for me, mates & serious fishing or just take my son.

Its all about being sensible on the water. Both my kids learnt to swim early and we made them wear the kids lifejackets with the crutch straps - I think is required by law too. My tinny has reasonable freeboard, which also helps keep them in the boat. I taught my son (11) to drive the boat if required.

Some of the lessons learnt;
- keep the sunscreen up to them
- keep them fed & watered and you'll get more time on the water
- catching is better than fishing, no matter what size fish you catch
- manage the time on the water to build them up
- good weather is ideal as kids lose interest when they're cold & wet

If I have a mate heading out with me, I often suggest that my son be the guide for the trip - great way to learn how much he's learnt & keeps some fun & interest in the trip. Teach them as much as they can/will absorb & they will be your best fishing companion for years.

I recently changed styles and took my son on a fly fishing trip, he showed a lot of interest in how to cast & intrigued how such a small hook could land some decent fish.

We fish a lot together in estuaries, lakes & rivers, I haven't taken him offshore yet, will build up the boat time before we handle swell.

It is great when they can cast & land a fish, you'll enjoy those days when they come. I enjoy the days with mates, by myself, however the days when he catches more & bigger fish are pretty good!
quid est quod eum

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm

davek wrote:I think at the end of the day the child is your responsibility so you have to be comfortable that you can care for them in any given situation, given any age, cheers davo
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 pm

I was lucky enough when my kids were nippers, to live in a place that had 4 lakes, brimming with trout 10 minutes from home ( guess where )
Any how, had a 17ft bonito at the time, full cabin forward, so the oldest was in the boat at around 3, and the second one about the same.
safety is the key, and the other half was always in the boat as well. wasn't till the oldest was about 6-7 that I took him to the salty stuff.
My kids basically grew up in the boat, I know its a different era now, but when I think back, the oldest was a damn good skipper by 9-10 !!!
conditions played a part where ever we went, even the lakes could roar up a fair bit, but most days, bath tub conditions........
everyone will have different takes on how old they should be,,,, but at the end of the day its your judgement and ultimately your responsibility....
C

Return to “Boating”