Boat show

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Boat show

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Firstly No way you will get the carbon for the same price as a HDS gen 3, if they will offer it to you for the same price then GRAB it .
secondly.

The Elite Ti models come with Total scan transducer which has structure scan as standard. (structure scan means sidescan and downscan)

Now also note The HDS7 gen 3 will need a Normal 50/200 transducer and also a LSS2 sidescan transducer and module for structure scan to work... Unless the company you are buying it from is offerign the HDS7 gen 3 with a total scan transducer. then you will get side and down scan from the one transducer..

structure scan 3d is again a totally different kettle of fish, and you will need to buy the 3d scan module seperately (3d structure scan is not available on elite ti models though)

As for resolution yes carbon models defenitely have the upperhand there.

once again, for your general fishing needs, you cannot go past the Elite Ti range, but ultimately its your money and your choice.
if i were you, i would get the 9 inch elite Ti for similar pricing to a HD7 gen 3 and have a bigger screen .
it all depend son what the Guys you buying it off from has quoted you with.

Heres all 3 units and also the carbon with 3d scan in there as well, click on the individual units to see more specs on them

http://www.lowrance.com/en-au/Compare/? ... -13678-002

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks for the link but of course I've already done the research and know what you have posted.

I am negotiating with Warragul Marine to see what is the best deal I can get; if they ask too much more for the Carbon I will happily make do with the HDS, if they can still supply it when the hull arrives from NZ. BTW the price I have been quoted includes a totalscan transducer.

The Elite just doesn't offer the features I want.
Cheers,
Neil

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 pm

nmgar wrote:Thanks for the link but of course I've already done the research and know what you have posted.
Errr no you didnt..
you just said Before The Elite Ti doesnt do sidescan, and downscan when in fact it does, and it comes with the Totalscan transducer as standard, along with navionics Gold maps. i know all this because i have one Myself.
The only thing the Elite Ti models dont do compared to the HDS gen 3 are 3d scan and they are not network compatible (which is usless in your case, unless you plan on having more units on your boat)
and ofcourse you need to buy the 3d module to get 3d scan on the HDS gen 3, and also spend more for maps as the HDS gen3s dont come with maps as standard, so thats more $$$ anyway.

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 pm

purple5ive wrote:
nmgar wrote:Thanks for the link but of course I've already done the research and know what you have posted.
Errr no you didnt..
you just said Before The Elite Ti doesnt do sidescan, and downscan when in fact it does, and it comes with the Totalscan transducer as standard, along with navionics Gold maps. i know all this because i have one Myself.
The only thing the Elite Ti models dont do compared to the HDS gen 3 are 3d scan and they are not network compatible (which is usless in your case, unless you plan on having more units on your boat)
and ofcourse you need to buy the 3d module to get 3d scan on the HDS gen 3, and also spend more for maps as the HDS gen3s dont come with maps as standard, so thats more $$$ anyway.
I actually didn't say that the Elite doesn't do sidescan or downscan, I said it doesn't do HD sidescan or downscan.

If you read my first post you will see that I have organised Navionics Platinum maps as part of my package. "Lowrance HDS7 Gen 3 with totalscan transducer and Navionics platinum maps".

Structurescan 3D, according to Lowrance, can be displayed on the HDS but the cost of the module and extra transducer is high.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-au/Products/ ... en-au.aspx
Cheers,
Neil

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:11 pm

The Totalscan Transducer does HD structurescan Mate. (HD structurescan = HD sidescan and HD downscan)

The side scan and downscan from the HDS gen 3 series and the Elite Ti series are EXACTLY the same..
and so is the chirp frequencies for the normal sonar. thye are exactly the same in both units.

But at the end of the day, its your call what you get.
i just didnt want you to realise that they were exactly the same thing after the money has been spent and its too late.

im guessing the carbon series with the updated resolution will be quite a lot more detailed than the HDS3 or Elite Ti units.

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:12 pm

You may be absolutely correct, I am just basing my opinion on the published information, not personal experience.

All I am going by is what Lowrance state as their resolution on both units. They don't describe them identically

The Elite is described as "Resolution 800 x 480"

While the HDS is" Resolution WVGA color TFT LCD 800 x 480"

I can't find any mention of HD in the Elite description, what they say is "High resolution display: Lowrance-exclusive, high-resolution, 7-inch, LED-backlit color display".

No mention of HD even though the pixel counts are identical; and neither seem adequate to truly warrant a claim of HD. It's not till you get to the Carbon with its 1024 X 600 resolution that it gets to a true HD, in my opinion.

I have had a policy of always buying the best that I can afford, and given that this is my first boat I need every bit of help that I can get.

I know that I will take some time learning how to best utilize the unit but that will be part of the fun. If I go to the Carbon unit the extra processing power should also be of benefit.

The totalscan transducer does HD but not 3D is my understanding.
Cheers,
Neil

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 pm

I just got dizzy reading all that.

Bm

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Ok. So few things you have confused yourself with.

First.
HD is not reffering to the actual screen resolution like a TV screen .
Its mereley lowrances way of describing its latest generation of downscan technology.
They had an older version of downscan on the very first HDS units and when they brought or new technology they just named it HD down scan. Then came HD sidescan. And then HD structurescan And now even 3D.
(This is what i have learnt from doing some research)

Secondly
the elite ti and the hds afaik have both got lcd touchscreens with backlit LED and similar resolution.
But they're could be some minor differences in screen technology at play. I'm not that versed in this area . But someone with more knowledge might be able to answer this (chocolate moose)

Totalscan transducer can only do chirp, side and downscan not 3D.

And yes it taes a while to master your sounder and get used to everything. Main thing is make sure the transducer is installed properly. Otherwise kiss everything else goodbye..

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Elite has slightly less processing power, can't use the 3d scan, can't be networked with more units and has 1 instead of 2 SD card slots. For all intents and purposes the actual display is identical running identical resolutions compared to the hds gen 3. The carbon series is the only one offering better resolution.

The elite is out of the box and away you go. The hds (either series) is the do basically anything you want to full hectic run everything system.

Unless you want to go full pimpin customise the lot and must have 3d scan capabilities the gem 3 and elite aren't all that different in basic form

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 pm

I just bought an Elite TI and when I was talking to the lowrance rep, the main difference was the network options, and processing power on the HDS.

They both use the same transducer,and display similar readings from what I can tell. As an aside, the Elite 9 TI is a baller unit, I highly recomend it.

Return to “Boating”