Boat show

nmgar

Re: Boat show

Post by nmgar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Scraglor wrote:Ive never used an electric so couldnt comment on holding power in WPB. I cant see why it wouldnt work in the shallows when whiting fishing, but the tide really does roar once u get a bit deeper. Cant wait to read your first report and fish to christen it! Its going to be a long 3 months I bet haha
I found this on Whitworth's site:

Many people think that the more pounds of thrust they are getting, the faster the boat will go. This is not exactly true. With trolling motors and outboard motors, boat speed (and acceleration) depends on horsepower and prop pitch. By changing prop pitch, you can trade acceleration for top speed. Minn Kota's trolling motors have props designed for maximum acceleration. When you hit the power, the boat responds immediately. This also allows you to hold the boat in high wind conditions. Top speed with Minn Kota motors and props is about 8 km/h. Small boats will reach this speed with most Minn Kota motors. Larger boats require Minn Kota's largest motors to approach this speed. Comparing Minn Kota motors to gasoline outboards is difficult because most outboard props are designed for much higher speed.
8km/hr might not be enough mid tide in the deeper channels, but it should have no problems on the banks.
Cheers,
Neil

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm

a trolling motor is not designed for speed. and the power ratings on them are there to simplify matching a boat and electric to each other.
if you use an undersized trolling motor it will have to work harder to move and anchor the boat which means battery life goes downhill..
dont forget the bigger the boat, the more drag, and more weight to move around or hold position via anchor.

matching them to the right size means motor works less efficiently to do required jobs and keeps batter life to minimum.

electrics are built for stealth and precise control not for speed, and also offers you a handsfree use while using lures (if footpedal is used) hence why they are found mainly on bream and bass boats, but now with newer technology filtering through, people are starting to see the benefits of them in other situations.

chocolatemoose

Post by chocolatemoose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 am

nice work! congradulations. im still recovering from the boat show, i can only imagine how you would of felt after a day of boat purchasing!. very nice little boat :)
RE electric motors. seeing more and more spot fisherman opt to replace anchoring with electrics as they become more powerful and somewhat cheaper.
we fitted a 112lbs MK to a 6.75mt haines late last year with interesting results :)

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 am

chocolatemoose wrote:we fitted a 112lbs MK to a 6.75mt haines late last year with interesting results :)
I would be interested in hearing more about your experience. I'm thinking that a 112lb on a 6.75m Haines would give a similar power/weight ratio to what I will have. Have you used it in WP mid tide?
Cheers,
Neil

chocolatemoose

Post by chocolatemoose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:39 pm

The owner was based out of corner inlet and fishings eastwards up towards Narooma.

The day we commissioned it all was rather slack and nice so not really the best test for tide and wind. still she was a heavy boat with all of us onboard and held fine. mind, this was post the release of their heading sensor model, which does make a fair bit of a difference.. length to the waterline is the key.

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Scraglor wrote:Nice one! One thing I would consider is an anchor winch, makes life a lot easier :P But sounds like an awesome boat that will be a lot of fun!
cobby wrote:Congrats on the purchase. Agree with scraglor about anchor which. Will become invaluable, and when spending that amount of cash may aswell spend more. Worthwhile upgrades either way, especially more fuel and more ponies on the back
After further consideration I decided you were right. I called down to Warragul Marine today and asked them to add a Lone Star GX1.

I had asked them to put an anchoring plate in so that I could add one in future but decided to bite the bullet and get it done.

It looks like they are moving to Dunbier trailers from Telwater so I will be changing to this (I think this is the one, I didn't ask the model number)
Dunbier ACL5_3M-13B.jpg
I didn't look at the Dunbier stand at the show but apparently it was on display as a new release.

As I had heard that Lowrance are going to discontinue their HDS Gen3 range in favour of the HDS Carbon I spoke to them about changing my order to the Carbon. Their current ETA on the hull is mid to late September so I'm hoping for October delivery. By that time the Gen3 may be discontinued so the Carbon with its extra processing power and extra pixels may be the only one available.
Cheers,
Neil

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:17 am

nmgar wrote:
Scraglor wrote:Nice one! One thing I would consider is an anchor winch, makes life a lot easier :P But sounds like an awesome boat that will be a lot of fun!
cobby wrote:Congrats on the purchase. Agree with scraglor about anchor which. Will become invaluable, and when spending that amount of cash may aswell spend more. Worthwhile upgrades either way, especially more fuel and more ponies on the back
After further consideration I decided you were right. I called down to Warragul Marine today and asked them to add a Lone Star GX1.

I had asked them to put an anchoring plate in so that I could add one in future but decided to bite the bullet and get it done.

It looks like they are moving to Dunbier trailers from Telwater so I will be changing to this (I think this is the one, I didn't ask the model number)
Dunbier ACL5_3M-13B.jpg
I didn't look at the Dunbier stand at the show but apparently it was on display as a new release.

As I had heard that Lowrance are going to discontinue their HDS Gen3 range in favour of the HDS Carbon I spoke to them about changing my order to the Carbon. Their current ETA on the hull is mid to late September so I'm hoping for October delivery. By that time the Gen3 may be discontinued so the Carbon with its extra processing power and extra pixels may be the only one available.
Are you from Warragul? That's where I live.

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am

Kimtown wrote:Are you from Warragul? That's where I live.
No I live in Pakenham so it is an easy drive.
Cheers,
Neil

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:35 am

You don’t need the carbon series for normal fishing related duties mate, what HDS model did you get? Yes they are being phased out but they are an excellent unit
If you want to go newer models then look at the Lowrance Elite – Ti series they are a new release and are great value for money.

in regards to the trailers i believe dunbier have now started making alloy trailers, which will be a lot better than galvanised ones for sure

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 am

purple5ive wrote:You don’t need the carbon series for normal fishing related duties mate, what HDS model did you get? Yes they are being phased out but they are an excellent unit
If you want to go newer models then look at the Lowrance Elite – Ti series they are a new release and are great value for money.

in regards to the trailers i believe dunbier have now started making alloy trailers, which will be a lot better than galvanised ones for sure
I don't have one at the moment but I ordered the Gen3 HDS7; if I can get them to supply the Carbon for the same price I will definitely go that route.

The Elite Ti are $400 cheaper which is good value but don't offer Structurescan or HD sidescan or downscan. I can also get Structurescan 3D with the HDS series.

The Carbon's resolution is 1024X600 while the Elite is 800X480 so the picture quality should be noticeably better.
Cheers,
Neil

Return to “Boating”