Port Welshpool offshore crossing

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Port Welshpool offshore crossing

Post by cobby » Mon May 22, 2017 10:53 am

frozenpod wrote:
rb85 wrote:Bad luck Welshpool can be challenging but very rewarding.

5 ways and Singapore deep are not bar crossings but a deep water entrance with lots of water movement and turbulence causing rough waters when you experience wind against tide.

Port Albert and McGlaughlins are dangerous bars to crossing on their day. Try Singapore deep again it can be a walk in the park with the right conditions.
The Corner Inlet Entrance certainly is not a bar.
Haven't been there in years, I remember it being very similar to the western entrance of Westernport wind against tide. Sloppy garbage coming off the banks held up by the tide mixed with all the rest. Pain in the arse, but doable for most boats.

I certainly remember McLaughlins though. Vertical in a 580sf with anything and everything smashing into the transom. Got me stuffed how nothing was lost though

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 am

Manns beach has a very nasty bar as well.

That was my worst crossing.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 22, 2017 11:16 am

Boat smashed and washed ashore at Lakes this morning...
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Everyone ok?

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 pm

The worst bar i have ever had to cross was Mallacoota. I have gone out of welshy 4 times now and planning on going off shore again next weekend. Weather permiting. I dont go out in my boat as im not comfortable to go alone, but i go with a friend in his HH. I usually end up driving as he wants me to get experience. I find sticking right into the middle the easiest. I see breaks on the either side but stick to the middle and never had a problem..
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 pm

MsShimano wrote:The worst bar i have ever had to cross was Mallacoota. I have gone out of welshy 4 times now and planning on going off shore again next weekend. Weather permiting. I dont go out in my boat as im not comfortable to go alone, but i go with a friend in his HH. I usually end up driving as he wants me to get experience. I find sticking right into the middle the easiest. I see breaks on the either side but stick to the middle and never had a problem..
seen lots of boats go over at Mallacoota, especially before the new ramp. Don't see too many crossing now unnecessarily at peak times.
Had a wave over the front there one day, not my boat... we were lucky not to go over imo.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Mon May 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Mjacc wrote:
MsShimano wrote:The worst bar i have ever had to cross was Mallacoota. I have gone out of welshy 4 times now and planning on going off shore again next weekend. Weather permiting. I dont go out in my boat as im not comfortable to go alone, but i go with a friend in his HH. I usually end up driving as he wants me to get experience. I find sticking right into the middle the easiest. I see breaks on the either side but stick to the middle and never had a problem..
seen lots of boats go over at Mallacoota, especially before the new ramp. Don't see too many crossing now unnecessarily at peak times.
Had a wave over the front there one day, not my boat... we were lucky not to go over imo.
It scary and I don't think I'll ever do it again. No fish is worth that risk..
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Wave over the front is not uncommon when crossing bars.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Sounds like I'm just a pussy :)

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Nar sea sick and you didn't know the area.

Return to “Boating”