Port Welshpool offshore crossing

ChrisAbout

Port Welshpool offshore crossing

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun May 21, 2017 2:25 am

With the weather having turned in Portland, we made the call to head over to Port Welshpool and offshore surrounds.

Launched at high tide and after a bit of scouting the edges of the pier for fresh bait, we decided to drift the 1-2m shallow grass beds for squid. That of course was unsuccessful, so we made the call to head off-shore to Rabbit Island and collect bait there.

The bay was flat with very little wind, almost like a lake. As we approached the first set of red buoys, I could see some waves breaking in the distance but we continued.

By now the tide was running out and a fresh breeze was coming in from offshore, making the trip out quite uncomfortable. We powered through and eventually made it past the fairway buoy to calmer seas (according to 4liters). However, having skipped taking a sea sickness pill that morning, I was feeling quite sick, heavy sweating, dizzy and in general feeling like I was going to faint anytime.

With no other boat in sight and my condition worsening, I turned around and headed for the bay, eventually returning back in safe and sound.

We fished the sand flats for whiting and squid, then tried our luck at a gummy in the deep channel drop-offs, but were unsuccessful in even getting a bite.

With the sun slowly setting behind the jaw-dropping scenery of Wilson Prom, we made our way towards the old pier hoping to al least get some pinkies, but we got none. Tired and demoralised we packed our toys and headed for the local fish market. ;-) Just kidding

Maybe it was the fact that I was feeling sick, or the tide running out into the swell, or not having crossed a bar before - but that was not a fun experience at all.

Over and out.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Port Welshpool offshore crossing

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 21, 2017 6:32 am

Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck.

The entrance can get a messy with wind against the tide.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 am

Better luck next time mate.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:26 am

Bad luck Welshpool can be challenging but very rewarding.

5 ways and Singapore deep are not bar crossings but a deep water entrance with lots of water movement and turbulence causing rough waters when you experience wind against tide.

Port Albert and McGlaughlins are dangerous bars to crossing on their day. Try Singapore deep again it can be a walk in the park with the right conditions.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks again for the trip, pity about the lack of gummies. At least a few flatties were something of a consolation prize.

I didn't think it was that bad once were got to deeper water outside the entrance, but having been seasick I know how much it can **** with you so I think we did the right thing by coming back in.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sun May 21, 2017 11:43 am

It's tough going when you're not well in the swell, I fish it regularly and have had the same. Sounds like a rough day.

On a good day, it fires up, just gotta time the good days with the fishing days. We have parked up on the west side of Singapore on the windy days and done well on gummies & schoolies.

It's worth the perseverance.

This was one of the calmer days!
Welshpool Feb-12 (6).JPG
quid est quod eum

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Yeah feeling sea sick is just dog$#/^. It wrecks your day and is often the reason you find good second hand boats at good prices.
For prevention I use and recommend Travacalm Original. I've never had people seasick with it if they took it 1 hour before venturing out and 6 hours later. It says take 2 but 1 is all you need and repeat in 6 hours.
Those tides can be wicked at corner inlet with massive tidal flows. Best is to venture out on incoming tide so you don't get stranded. Vast areas that were under water become sand flats in no time.....
That Gippsland Ports site that re-tyred pointed me to in another post has useful info: http://www.gippslandports.vic.gov.au/ab ... _inlet.php

Joe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:Yeah feeling sea sick is just dog$#/^. It wrecks your day and is often the reason you find good second hand boats at good prices.
For prevention I use and recommend Travacalm Original. I've never had people seasick with it if they took it 1 hour before venturing out and 6 hours later. It says take 2 but 1 is all you need and repeat in 6 hours.
Those tides can be wicked at corner inlet with massive tidal flows. Best is to venture out on incoming tide so you don't get stranded. Vast areas that were under water become sand flats in no time.....
That Gippsland Ports site that re-tyred pointed me to in another post has useful info: http://www.gippslandports.vic.gov.au/ab ... _inlet.php

Joe
We took Travelcalm, I took mine when we put petrol in the boat but Chris took his on the water. That seemed to be the difference because I was fine
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Yeah you've just got to take the Travacalm before you get out and absorb it. You just know when it's absorbed cause it hits you.....Once you're feeling sick the stomach and gut shuts down and absorbing it is more difficult.

Joe

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Does anyone ever go out through Bentley Hbr? I have seen quite a few boats fishing in there.
Attachments
Bentley hbr.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Boating”