Rod holders for game rods will this work?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Rod holders for game rods will this work?

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 pm

I was going to put flush mounted rod holders in the gunnels so i could run game rods from the back of the boat but before i drilled the holdes i realised the reels will hit the rail and wont sit correctly in the rod holders.

You can see the pencil mark on there is was going to put it. Ignore the black plastic clamp at far right of screen that will be removes shortly.
20170517_153200.jpg
So i thought about it and came up with the clamp on stainless steel rod holders.
20170517_153232.jpg
Just wondering if people have used them for game fishing and if they hold up with the strike of a game reel?

And should i put it on the inside or outside of the rail?

Any ideas appreciated.

Mjacc

Re: Rod holders for game rods will this work?

Post by Mjacc » Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Personally haven't used them for game fishing, but when I bought my boat. The guy I got it from did the Portland Tuna fishing a bit and had 4 of them set up very similar to the photo. One on each side as you have there and then one further back angled out the side a bit.
As I say I haven't used it personally but I imagine they could take it.
Also I would definitely glue that black sleeve in properly, they do come out a bit to easily.

Inside or outside wouldn't matter, as long as the don't protrude from the boat. I took two off for this reason as I found I didn't need them and when near jetties they are a pain if they get stuck. Which was the main reason two side ones got taken out.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm

I would be more concerned with the low angle and losing the rod overboard. Easy to tell set up a rod set to 8kg of drag drop it in the holder let out about 15 mt of line tie a handle to the end of the line then run like hell. How is the tube attached to the clamp is it riveted or spot welded that will be the weakest point as it will be in shear and prone to working loose.
I have some I put on the side of my rocket launcherto give me extra storage I will take a photo when I can but I am sure mine are forged one piece.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Does anyone troll using snapper racks?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Nude up wrote:I would be more concerned with the low angle and losing the rod overboard. Easy to tell set up a rod set to 8kg of drag drop it in the holder let out about 15 mt of line tie a handle to the end of the line then run like hell. How is the tube attached to the clamp is it riveted or spot welded that will be the weakest point as it will be in shear and prone to working loose.
I have some I put on the side of my rocket launcherto give me extra storage I will take a photo when I can but I am sure mine are forged one piece.
The cylinder is spot welded to a plate with the teeth to adjust angle and the plate is to secured to the opposite plate with a big screw
If that makes sense

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:03 pm

rb85 wrote:Does anyone troll using snapper racks?
Nope never heard of it.

Not advised due to the low angle of the rods will be. If a fish stikes wil just pull rod out of racks.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 pm

smile0784 wrote:
rb85 wrote:Does anyone troll using snapper racks?
Nope never heard of it.

Not advised due to the low angle of the rods will be. If a fish stikes wil just pull rod out of racks.
Thought that would be the case suspect a charter operator was doing it a few years back.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm

What was he pulling?
Was it game fishing or divers just under the boat?

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 pm

smile0784 wrote:What was he pulling?
Was it game fishing or divers just under the boat?
Not entirely sure on details it was for tuna out Portland.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 pm

I have them as extra holders attached to the bimini vertical/rocket launcher rail. They clamp on well and my bimini is made of stainless. Make sure the holder is near vertical or 1 or 2 notches off, and always make sure you tether your lines with good safety lines wrapped around the area of rod where the reel seats, or to the tether point if your reel has one. They are the same depth as my welded rocket launcher shotgun holder.
I have had an issue where the central screw had worked loose and one rod holder went sloppy. I have since SikaFlexed that screw so it doesn't work loose. Should be fine for what you're thinking of doing. Always tether your reels so if someone leaves your reel on sunset and forgets to back it off on 130lb braid and your rod snaps - you won't loose your reel.

Joe

Return to “Boating”