Storing boat during winter

mjmc16

Storing boat during winter

Post by mjmc16 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what people recommend when storing your boat during winter. I am still going to use it when possible, however it may go for weeks without use.

I've got a 481 FIshabout with a 75HP Evinrude

My main two questions are:

- Is it best to store with a full tank of fuel? - I've read different opinions regarding this.
- How long would you leave the battery before starting to use a trickle charger?

Appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Michael

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Storing boat during winter

Post by rb85 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 pm

I would give it a run every few weeks even if it's in the drive. For the battery get a charger that goes through a cycle such as the C-Tek to keep it charged.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Battery give it a top up before use if it has sat for 1 month.

Fuel goes off quick these days I used to keep the tank full now I try to get it close to empty (I use a syfine to get what I can out and use it in the mower) so there is mostly fresh fuel for the next trip.

Also I only use BP premium or BP ultimate fuel.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu May 11, 2017 9:46 pm

frozenpod wrote:Battery give it a top up before use if it has sat for 1 month.

Fuel goes off quick these days I used to keep the tank full now I try to get it close to empty (I use a syfine to get what I can out and use it in the mower) so there is mostly fresh fuel for the next trip.

Also I only use BP premium or BP ultimate fuel.
I cant allways choose my fuel due to locations but why do you choose the bp fuels

Cheers bm

ango

Post by ango » Thu May 11, 2017 9:51 pm

What I have done over the last 10 years or so without any problems is to add fuel stabiliser at the recommended level to the fuel, keep a full tank, run the motor every 4 weeks or so on muffs, and turn on the trickle charger every 4 weeks or so until it indicates full charge.

Cheers
Ango

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu May 11, 2017 10:03 pm

I do the same as ango with the only difference being I top up completely with premium fuel only (plus stabil) when I know it's not going to be used for a while. I believe that there is no ethanol in premium (maybe I'm incorrect but please let me know if so) and it's the ethanol that is hydroscopic and can evaporate out and cause problems. I often just use regular petrol when I'm using my boat a lot as it's cheaper.

I leave my multistage charger connected to the batteries and just plug in the extension lead every couple of weeks over night to keep them topped up. I did get the bits for a solar panel and charger that I could leave on permanently over winter but never got around to rigging it up.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I've always filled my boat with 91. Have been told that outboards are tuned for the lower octane rating.

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 pm

ducky wrote:I've always filled my boat with 91. Have been told that outboards are tuned for the lower octane rating.
Correct mate my marine bloke said same also they mArine guys at my work said same

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Thu May 11, 2017 11:05 pm

ducky wrote:I've always filled my boat with 91. Have been told that outboards are tuned for the lower octane rating.
I don't use premium for the higher octane specifically just for the lack of ethanol and other additive goodies that help it store better for long periods. I usually run standard petrol when in general use. Engines are tuned for a minimum Octane rating and running a higher octane won't cause any issues. You shouldn't however run lower octane fuel in an engine than it's designed for or you will get early ignition and knocking.

I believe that petrols octane rating can decrease over time in storage, not sure 100% if true but if so then filling with high octane premium at the start of winter may result in a lower octane fuel in the tank 6 months later but hopefully still higher than regular petrol. Starting off with regular may result in an octane level that is lower than required by your motor after a long storage period.

I figure It's a small additional price to pay once a year for peace of mind and it's a lot cheaper than having to dump a whole tank of stale fuel (150 litres for me).

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Thu May 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Also, if your outboard is a carby model you want to make sure you run the carby dry and even consider fogging the engine if it's not going to be used for 6 months. This helps stop the carbies gumming up when the fuel in the bowl evaporates and requires a carby rebuild /clean. Running the engine once a month Also works by flushing new fuel through before it turns to muck. Fogging is more for longer periods and helps stop internal rusting and seizing.

Return to “Boating”