Boat grease/oil leak!!

drew 2

Re: Boat grease/oil leak!!

Post by drew 2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Like nude up said,drain some oil out of the lower leg and check it.It looks like g/box oil & water mix to me.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:31 pm

do you have a borescope you can buy them on eBay for $10 they connect to your phone then you can push it up the exhaust port and see where it's coming from. But it's not looking good if its your gearbox

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 am

Unfortunately that looks to me like gear oil leaking from the forward shaft seal.....and the colour isn't what I would want to see. That needs some repair I'm afraid.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:31 am

marine mechanic here...
looks like it is just unburnt fuel and oil mix.

Have you been idiling for a while? Were you using old fuel? Were you mixing at 50:1 properly (not adding a bit of oil for luck?)

1 way to check, is to slowly undo the lower drain plug washer (it will be a big, flat head screw). Slowly undo it until you see oil. If it is the same colour, then you have a leak. If it is a different colour...its just unburnt fuel and oil mix. Nothing to worry about.

Brooker

Post by Brooker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:34 pm

repspec wrote:marine mechanic here...
looks like it is just unburnt fuel and oil mix.

Have you been idiling for a while? Were you using old fuel? Were you mixing at 50:1 properly (not adding a bit of oil for luck?)

1 way to check, is to slowly undo the lower drain plug washer (it will be a big, flat head screw). Slowly undo it until you see oil. If it is the same colour, then you have a leak. If it is a different colour...its just unburnt fuel and oil mix. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah I think it was from when I left it idleing to flush it ... and could it be from the oil quality or mix ratio!? Or is it just something that can't be avoided? Also I'm doing 100ml for five litres. Usis that right I used a guide off the web .. thanks heaps for the help guys!! Cheers

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Doesn't look like gearbox oil but I would change the gearbox oil anyway. Doesn't cost much and should be done regularly regardless.

100ml for 5lt is 50:1 ie the right mix but this is too much oil for idle so you will end up with excess oil when idling for long periods.

Return to “Boating”